Sunday, June 7, 2020

Yes Lord



And He was withdrawn from them about a stones throw, and He knelt down and prayed, saying, "Father, if it is your will, take this cup away from me; nevertheless not My will. but Yours, be done."
Luke 22: 41 = 42 NKJV

One definition of submission is to put oneself under the control of another.  We hear a lot in Christian circles about submitting in our own relationships{Ephesians 5:21}.  We're told that we must submit ourselves to God {James 4:7}.  Indeed, to talk of submission is easy, to put it into practice is something else altogether.  I can talk all day long about how I need to submit my own life to the Lord, yet until I actually begin the process these are simply empty words.  Are we truly submitting our lives to the Lord?  Let's follow the example of Christ Jesus for the answer to that question.  As He prayed in the garden prior to His crucifixion, Jesus Himself wished that what awaited Him would somehow be removed {Matthew 26:42, Luke 22:42}.  Jesus was staring death in the eye, and He knew it.  Although His human desire may have been to avoid that which was in front of Him, He knew that was not possible.  Don't get me wrong, Jesus had the very power to remove Himself from His situation, yet He chose not His own will, but the Fathers.  I see this to be the very definition of the act of submission, to submit ourselves to another no matter what.  Jesus knew His death was near, yet He accepted it with those few words, "Your will be done."  Jesus also knew that submitting to the Fathers will would eventually bring about a greater reward.  Without the submission of Jesus, we would never have the forgiveness of our sins {Matthew 26:28}.  Without the submission of Jesus to the Fathers will, we would continue in our sin {Romans 6:11}.  I believe that it is this act of submission that James was referring to when he spoke of submitting ourselves to the Lord {James 4:7}.  When we submit ourselves to His will, we put aside whatever concerns or worries we might have.  At this point, all that we're focusing on is Christ.  Your will be done, Lord.  I've always said that one of the roadblocks to believing the truth of Christ in us is believing in that which we cannot physically see.  Paul tells us of the truth of Jesus {Galatians 2:20}.  Yet, when was the last time you physically saw Jesus?  Well, if we believe that He is in us, then we see Jesus in those around us as well.  The words of Paul are not simply directed at us, but to all who know Jesus.

Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself.  Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
Philippians 2: 3 - 4 NKJV

This past week I took the advice of a friend and steered away from watching/reading anything in the media.  He claimed that this would give me a better outlook on things.  Well, he was right!  When I removed myself from the negative stories of the current events in our country, I began to have a more positive outlook.  This, more than anything, should be a example to all that the media is nothing but a political machine.  What does this have to do with submission?  Plenty, for I took my eyes off of what was in front of me and focused on what it was that the Father desired.  Your will be done, Lord.  I don't believe that it is the Fathers desire that I would tear my insides out with worry each and every day over what I see in the news.  However, when we realize that God is all in all, even in the current events of our nation, we find peace in His will for our lives.  This is our submission to the Father.  I know what's out there, I see it every day.  However, I also know that it is not the Fathers desire for me not to have hope {Jeremiah 29:11}.  To trust in the Fathers leading, that is the essence of my submission to the Lord.  What does this mean for our relationships?  We hear a lot of wives submitting to husbands, and many people have raised concerns that this is something akin to abuse and slavery.  This has never been the submission which God has desired for us.  After observing more than a few Christian marriages over time, I've noticed something common about all of them...trust.  The wife trusts in the leadership of her husband.  Could this be the marriage submission which Paul was referring to in his letter to the Ephesians?  Paul tells us that wives are to, "Submit to their husbands as to the Lord" {Ephesians 5:22}  Again, Jesus is our example.  We see Him submit to the Fathers will in the garden.  We ourselves trust in the Father above all else.  As Jesus submitted to the Fathers will, so do we who live as Jesus.

~Scott~

No comments: