Saturday, January 21, 2017

Approval Rating

4You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
1 John 4: 4 - 6 NKJV

I read a post from Wayne Jacobsen this week that talked about the dependence of some people on the approval of others around them.  Now, Jacobsen goes as far as to call this situation a "Approval addiction," and I may just agree with him on that point.  You see, this is where I still continue to find my own self at times.  Am I doing enough?  Am I doing it good enough?  Will others indeed see Christ in me and approve?  It seems that in the arena of institutional religion, that basing ones belief on their performance has become the order of the day.  What a good, sound christian leader is he who reads his scriptures daily, fasts when needed and does not withhold his tithe.  You don't need to look far to see the weekly christian performance theater.  But why do we feel that need to seek out the approval of those around us when we already have the approval of He who loved us first?  Well, I see it as a need to be accepted by others.  For we all desire that attention and acceptance of those around us.  However, there but a few who have carried this practice to what Jacobsen describes as addiction status.  To these few, the approval of others is THE goal of what they do.  Now, as I admitted, I have been guilty of this in the past as well.  I used to attempt to pass this off as being raised in a single parent home, but that crutch only lasts so long.  Eventually we all need to break out of what was and into what is.  To live in the past cannot be a good thing.  So, is our need to feel accepted more of a need to stroke our own ego and pride more than anything?  To feel that we ourselves are just a bit better than those around us?  Perhaps, but it's no secret that our heavenly Father tells us that the meek shall be rewarded in His kingdom.  So the question then is where does our own approval come from if not from those around us?  Funny you should ask, because I had that very same question not so long ago.

1Then Jesus spoke to the multitudes and to His disciples, 2saying: “The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat. 3“Therefore whatever they tell you to observe, that observe and do, but do not do according to their works; for they say, and do not do. 4“For they bind heavy burdens, hard to bear, and lay them on men’s shoulders; but they themselves will not move them with one of their fingers. 5“But all their works they do to be seen by men. They make their phylacteries broad and enlarge the borders of their garments. 6“They love the best places at feasts, the best seats in the synagogues, 7“greetings in the marketplaces, and to be called by men, ‘Rabbi, Rabbi.’ 8“But you, do not be called ‘Rabbi’; for One is your cTeacher, the Christ, and you are all brethren. 9“Do not call anyone on earth your father; for One is your Father, He who is in heaven. 10“And do not be called teachers; for One is your Teacher, the Christ. 11“But he who is greatest among you shall be your servant."
Matthew 23: 1 - 10 NKJV

Meet the Jewish Pharisees of Jesus' day.  These men of the Jewish leadership adored the recognition of others and the benefits which went with their position in society.  The best seats at banquets and greetings of adoration in public.  However, as Jesus so rightly pointed out to those listening, these Pharisees had done NOTHING to deserve the adoration of the people.  Instead of extending to love and mercy of God, these men delivered burdens to those they lorded over.  Indeed, if anyone was said to have an approval addiction it was these Jewish Pharisees.  However, I have often looked at the advice of Jesus as He delivers His woes to these Pharisees, that "He who is greatest among you shall be your servant."  But do we really need that approval of others around us?  For if God indeed loved us first, is His love and approval not enough for us?  I look at all that my heavenly Father has done in my life and I cannot help but feel that I have His approval.  I look at the truth of Christ Jesus found in Galations 2:20 and I know instantly that mans approval means nothing to who I am in Him.  There is no christian duty, no fasting nor any tithe given or withheld on my part which can ever seperate me from the love of Christ Jesus who is in me.

38For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8: 38 - 39 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: