Friday, January 13, 2017

What We Expect

Do you believe, Clavius?

22So Jesus answered and said to them, “Have faith in God. 23“For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says. 24“Therefore I say to you, whatever things you ask when you pray, believe that you receive them, and you will have them."
Mark 11: 22 - 24 NKJV

The question was raised recently among us of what we should make of the promise Christ gives in Mark 11:24.  I have to admit that until recently I viewed ths verse with the same skepticism which I viewed the name it and claim it craze of not so long ago.  That is, until Dennis intervened.  Now, I still see the name it and claim it craze among christians with doubt, but I believe that the faith Jesus was claiming here went a step further than we're used to going.  I beleive that the key to this passage lies in verse 24.  It is here where Christ tells those who were listening that this kind of faith was indeed different.  For here Jesus tells us to "Believe that you receive them," and you will have what you ask.  So, is this that far from the name it and claim it folks?  Maybe not, but it is certainly a faith which requires us to...believe.  Yes, that is exactly how Dennis described this passage in Mark 11.  If we only beleive, we will have whatever it is we ask of our heavenly Father.  Now, I'll make the clarification here that I would replace the word "Believe" in Mark 11 with the word expectation, but that's just me.  For this is exactly how Dennis described the kind of faith needed in this pasage.  Yes, we can ask our heavenly Father for anything we want, but do we ultimately expect He will provide it for us?  When we make our requests known to Him, is our attitude, "Ok, Lord, I now know you will provide what I've asked for?"  If it is then we have made that step up from believing to trusting that God will provide what we ask of Him.  I also find it interesting that Christ, in describing this kind of faith, made it a point to proclaim that we not doubt in our hearts.  Trust me, I've been there many times where I've asked something from God in prayer but then was plagued by the doubts of perhaps I didn't deserve such blessings.  Indeed, our own doubts can kill our trust in Him.

3So when he heard about Jesus, he sent elders of the Jews to Him, pleading with Him to come and heal his servant. 4And when they came to Jesus, they begged Him earnestly, saying that the one for whom He should do this was deserving, 5“for he loves our nation, and has built us a synagogue.” 6Then Jesus went with them. And when He was already not far from the house, the centurion sent friends to Him, saying to Him, “Lord, do not trouble Yourself, for I am not worthy that You should enter under my roof. 7“Therefore I did not even think myself worthy to come to You. But say the word, and my servant will be healed. 8“For I also am a man placed under authority, having soldiers under me. And I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 9When Jesus heard these things, He marveled at him, and turned around and said to the crowd that followed Him, “I say to you, I have not found such great faith, not even in Israel!” 10And those who were sent, returning to the house, found the servant well awho had been sick.
Luke 7: 3 - 10 NKJV

I have always loved this passage in Luke 7 as one of the great lessons on faith that we have from scripture today.  I have referenced this scripture often as a trusted example of our faith.  So what is it about this kind of faith?  Well, we can tell from the actions of this Roman centurian.  This Romans servant was sick, he had "heard" of Jesus and immeditaely knew that Christ could and would heal him!  Can you see the significance of this passage?  This Roman had undoudtedly heard the stories of how Jesus had healed many in His ministry and knew that He could heal his servant also.  So much so that he tells Jesus to just proclaim his servant healed and he trusted that he would be.  For those who have served in the military, you know the importance of the chain of command.  This centurian uses this reference to lay claim of his trust in Jesus' ability to heal his servant.  This isn't surprising to me, for he is a military man in the service of Rome.  It is his explanation of his trust in Him which impresses Jesus the most.  For this centurian has many under his command, he tells one "come," and he comes.  Furthermore, he tells another "Go," and he goes.  Therefore, Jesus need only to speak his servants healing and it would be done.  What was Jesus' reaction to this?  Jesus marveled at this centurians trust in Him!  As He puts it, "I have not found such great faith, not even in Isreal!"  With that, the centurians servant was healed that very hour.  Like I've pointed out, I see this more of a trust that our heavenly Father will provide what we ask of Him than of faith.  Of course, faith can indeed be seen also as trust.  Either way, when we ask our Lord for something, we come before Him with that expectation that He has already provided what we are asking of Him.

~Scott~


No comments: