Saturday, July 1, 2017

Counting Our Change



37Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. 38For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 8: 37 - 39 NKJV

I've heard it more often thn I care to admit.  At some point or another, one christian brother or another would approach me or someone else with those dreaded words.  Brother, you NEED to change.  I recall a man by the name of Rick who would frequent the church I used to attend.  Now, Rick was a pretty imposing figure, a former United States marine who always seemed to carry his military service in the highest esteem.  Now, I agree that those who have served truly deserve our gratitude..but Rick was different.  To have him tower over you on a Sunday morning and demand that you needed to change would surely cause one to feel that perhaps he was onto something.  Most people, just not me.  See, despite his imposing and gruff exterior, I had seen on a few occasions that Rick had a chink in his armor.  He had feelings...emotions.  One thing I never did, however, was to tell Rick that he needed to change.  That was between him and his heavenly Father.  And what about this whole idea of change?  Are we to beleive that something which God has called "Good" upon its creation now is in need of being changed?  Is Christ Jesus not the same yesterday, today and forever {Hebrews 13:8}?  Are we to believe that we are somehow seperated from our heavenly Fathers love that we somehow need to change?  Maybe, but I am inclined to believe that this isn't the case.  Indeed, the apostle Paul tells us in Romans 8 that NOTHING will ever seperate us from the love of God.  From that moment in which He breathed into us the breath of life {Genesis 2:7}, He has always been a part of our lives.  Yet others will talk of change.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

So, my question is this, does one who carries the perfect Spirit of Jesus within them need to change anything about themselves?  Is Christ Jesus in need of change?  No?  Then why would one demand change of someone who is one in Christ?  This makes no sense to me.  Yet you still see countless self help gurus pitching the very latest in self improvement seminars and books all with one thing in mind...that we ourselves change.  I am reminded all too often of the lies of Joel Osteen and Joyce Meyer, who many in christian circles swear that he has the latest and greatest message inclined for our Lord to bless those who listen to him.  Really?  First off, it is our heavenly Fathers intimate desire that He would bless His children.  Indeed, His plans are for us to prosper and not fail {Jeremiah 29:11}.  But wait, maybe we need to change something of ourselves that God might bless us?  Give me a break!  Again, our Lord has indeed  deemed all that He has created as good {Genesis 1:31}.  For those who missed the lesson, WE are a part of His creation.  Indeed, I am a child of God, and if I am a child, then also an heir through Christ Jesus our Lord {Romans 8:17}.  No change is needed.

~Scott~


No comments: