Tuesday, July 25, 2017

One Last Lesson



 15But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, 16to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, 17nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
Galations 1: 15 - 17 NKJV

I found myself thinking this week of the apostle Pauls revelation in Galations 1:15.  It is here where Paul tells of his own conversion, and possibly why he was allowed to continue in his persecution of the early church {Acts 9:1-2}.  I believe that many early followers of Christ Jesus fell at the hands of the man Saul.  A man trained in the faith of Judaism.  A man whose hatred burned against those of "The way."  A man so feared by those of the early church, that Ananias questioned whether it was wise to accompany Saul to Damascus {Acts 9:13-14}.  I wondered why it was that God had chosen this man Saul to be His messenger.  I also wondered just why so many had to suffer at Sauls hands before his conversion.  This was definately one of those 'Why do bad things happen to good people?' moments.  That answer was revealed to me a few verses later.  As Ananias wonders aloud as to why he is being asked to lead this persecutor of the church into Damascus, he is told "For he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before gentiles, kings and the children of Isreal."  Despite his evil against the early church, God was using Saul for His purpose of telling the world about the very man he had been persecuting.  In my opinion, He could not have chosen a better witness.  For through the writings of Paul we are witness to and brought into a deeper relationship with Christ Jesus.  Not bad for a man who once spewed wrath on the early believers.  I am of the belief that the best teachers are those who have come through the fire of experience.  For it is these few from which we ourselves learn our most valuable lessons.  Paul was such a man.  Chosen when it pleased God to be used as His vessel to proclaim Christ to the world.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

As I pondered Sauls conversion and the events leading up to it, my thoughts turned to my mother.  In the days leading up to her passing, I found it layed upon my heart to minister to her as she was in the hospital.  Day after day I would visit her.  Sometimes I would read from her favorite verses while others I would sing her favorite hymms to her.  It helped that she had been a lifetime christian who loved her Lord.  Then, I came across something that gave me some difficulty.  It had only recently been revealed unto my heart the truth of Christ Jesus which Paul tells us of in Galations 2:20.  With the help of Dennis, this revelation was becoming more clear each day.  Not only had Christ died for the forgiveness of my sins, but He rose that His Spirit would remain in me forever.  In essenece, I live AS Christ Jesus.  This was my dillema in my mothers final days.  Although she knew and loved Jesus, I just wasn't sure if she knew the truth that He could be found in her.  Her savior had always been that close to her.  However, as my own revelation about Christ in me had come when it pleased God to reveal Jesus it, so it would be with my mom.  Believe me, I tried my best to get her to realize that Jesus was in her.  But it wasn't me who could produce that revelation, that was Gods territory.  I was just that vessel He was using to speak of Jesus to her.  It seemed strange that all of my life she had been the one to teach me, now those roles were reversed.  A few days before she passed, I asked her once again if she knew where Jesus was.  My mom smiled at me and pointed to her chest.  She had given her son one last lesson.

~Scott~

No comments: