Saturday, August 5, 2017

Seeing God Where He Doesn't Belong



7And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
Genesis 2: 7 NKJV

Have you ever noticed someone you know in a place that you never would have thought you would see them?  Speaking for myself, if anyone should ever see me boarding a airplane they should immediately question my motives.  For that just doesn't happen...ever.  It's not that I don't like airplanes, I love them as a matter of fact.  No, my fear of heights has often prevented me from flying off to another destination.  Of course, I have taken flights before, but only under duress so I cannot be blamed for that mistake.  See, some things just don't belong in certain settings.  A cat does not belong in a bath, a liberal would be lost in a discussion involving logic AND Scott does not fly...period.  Now for the greater question.  Have you ever seen God in a place He clearly does not belong?  Well, sometimes we may feel like we have witnessed just that very thing.  So, where is it that we might feel that God does not belong?  In a adult theater?  In a war zone?  At a racist rally?  I hate to burst someones bubble, but there is NOWHERE we can look where we will not see the evidence of our Lords creation.  This was brought to my by Dennis last year on one of our hiking trips.  He encouraged me to see the evidence, no, the image of God in the very wilderness we were walking in.  For anyone who has walked in the Pacific Northwests Columbia River Gorge, this might not seem too far fetched.  I grew up and played in the north woods of Minnesota, which has affectionately been named "Gods country" for very good reasons.  Indeed, it is not very hard for us to see God in these picturesque environments.  It is here where we can feel comfortable to glory in His creation which surrounds us.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

We cannot have a discussion about seeing God where we may feel that He does not belong without including those of His creation around us.  I have been guilty many times of questioning of those around me if indeed God could have been involved in their lives.  Whether by their behaviors or actions, I have often wondered if Jesus could have ever been involved in such a person.  Of course, I was absolutely in error to even assume such a thing.  Am I to assume that only christians have a monopoly on being created in our Lords very image?  This was, of course, wrong thinking on my part.  For the very same God who breathed into me the breath of life is the same God who breathed the breath of life into all His creation.  Yes, that includes those who we may feel that God could have never been involved with.  Those whose wickedness, selfishness and disregard for others may often have us wondering if God could have ever had His hand in their lives.  Trust me, He did.  I'm pretty sure that some people who I've met have wondered that very same thing about me.  Does that make it true?  Of course not.  So it is with those who I myself may feel could never have been touched by God.  As in my travels in the wilderness of the northwest, each day God gives me that opportunity to see Himself in those around me {Galations 2:20}.  I am not seeing God where He doesn't belong, but seeing Him where He has always been.

16Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
2 Corinthians 5: 16 - 17 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: