Monday, August 28, 2017

Ticket To Ride



 27“Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? 28“So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; 29“and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30“Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? 31“Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’or ‘What shall we drink?’or ‘What shall we wear?’32“For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.
Matthew 6: 27 - 32 NKJV

I recently had a conversation with a coworker over just what we put aside for ourselves.  Now, I'll began by saying that this man only buys the best of whatever he purchases.  He does his research and then buys the best products for what he needs.  While I agree with this approach to his life, what he said next threw me for a loop...sort of.  Just recently he said to me, "Scott, I only got one ticket to ride in this life and I'm gonna take it!"  Now, how many others are there out there in the world with this live for the day, carpe diem philisophy?  For my part, I was always raised with the mindset that I was to put things aside for a rainy day.  How would Jesus have  responded to one who, like my coworker, lives for today and today only?  Well, I think that we can get a glimpse of this from His own words.  In Jesus' sermon on the mount, He speaks to the folly of worryng over those things which we have.  Now, I take this to mean those things we need for our daily survival.  We're talking food, water and clothing.  Jesus tells us not to worry over these things.  For our heavenly Father already knows that we need these things.  So, if it is indeed true that God knows what we need, why is it that we continue to worry, fret and trouble ourselves over what it is which God will provide for us?  I see this as a trust issue at its very core.  Many times we refuse to know in our own hearts that our heavenly Father will come through for us.  So we continually get our hands dirty trying to fix things and "help" our Lord to lay out those things which we feel that we're lacking.  Good luck with that.

5Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren to go to you ahead of time, and prepare your generous gift beforehand, which you had previously promised, that it may be ready as a matter of generosity and not as a grudging obligation. 6But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of enecessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. 8And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work.
2 Corinthians 9: 5 - 8 NKJV

I remember a conversation that I had with a pastor friend of mine some time ago on this very topic.  When I asked him about Gods provision for His children and how it related to me I was surprised at his response.  "What are you doing with what God is giving to you?"  Whoa!  Ok, I get it, there are those in the world that definately need help with their own daily needs.  Heck, I've been there myself.  But doesn't God love a cheerful giver?  How is it that we ourselves can be cheerful givers if we have a vice grip on our own income?  Is our heavenly Fathers promise to provide for our own needs dependent upon that generosity of those around us?  How about this for a thought, will others see Christ by the way He works through us?  Jesus seemed to think so.  In Mattew 5 our Lord tells us of how those around us will see our good works and thereby glorify our Father in heaven {Matthew 5:16}.  How is it that Gods children today will know and see the love of His Son if it is not through those whom His Spirit lives through?  If we know that it is Jesus Himself who lives through us {Galations 2:20}, then what better way for the love of Christ to be exhibited to those around us.  How would our ancestors ever had known Christ had He not came in the flesh image of man?  He Himself is the image of our invisible God {Colossions 1:15}.  We may not have known the nature of our heavenly Father if not for Him.  Therefore, while I no longer discount the thought of living for the day, I filter it with that realization of just who I am living my life for.

13“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. 14“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15“Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5: 13 - 16 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: