Friday, March 16, 2018

Fake Views



14For the love of Christ compels us, because we judge thus: that if One died for all, then all died; 15and He died for all, that those who live should live no longer for themselves, but for Him who died for them and rose again. 16Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
2 Corinthians 5: 14 - 17 NKJV

I learned something these past few weeks.  Without opening a book or attending a seminar, life taught me a lesson which I'm sure was sorely needed at the time.  That lesson learned was how I perceived those around me, in particular those closest to me.  I'm sure we've all come to that point in our own lives where we've allowed negative thoughts, rumors and feelings tarnish that image of others around us.  That image which testifies that we, as well as those around us, were created in the very image of our heavenly Father.  Not only that, but that those around us carry the image of Christ Jesus just as we do {Galations 2:20}.  Believe me, I surely haven't cornered the market on our Lords presence in my life.  For if He lives through me, who am I to proclaim that He does not live through others as well?  Obviously this is flawed thinking, but in the moment we sometimes seem to forget that we ourselves may have been at the same point in our own lives that we may find so disagreeable in others.  That indwelling presence of Christ is not reserved for only certain people.  I can surely be thankful for that.  So we succumb to many of the same rumors that others may be saying about us and attach them to another.  These are fake views.  I call them fake views because all too often what we might think of those around us is far from the truth of who they really are.  So who are they?  Well, they are the same as we ourselves are.  They're the same as I am.  Indeed, if I can confidently proclaim that Christ lives through me, then who am I to deny His presence in others?  Fake views.  The truth of the matter is that all have access to the same freedom in Christ Jesus which I have experienced.

9Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11“The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12‘I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13“And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14“I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
 Luke 18: 9 - 14 NKJV

It's funny that I have turned to that parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector that we find in Luke 18 many times when I felt that I was being mistreated by others.  Never in my own mind did I think that I myself would be that Pharisee passing judement upon others.  Yet that is exactly what I have done on occassion by judging others around me.  Of course, those very same people I have misjudged may very well have been themselves justified by our heavenly Father.  It's no secret that it takes more effort for one to forgive than to pass judgement.  Then again, when we pass judgement upon others are we not placing ourselves above others?  We then become that Pharisee, looking down on others.  I hate to keep beating that drum, but at times I wish that I had the foresight to see that it is Christ who lives through those around me as well.  However, that might be a tough pill to swallow when we feel we are on that righeous path ourselves.  A good friend told me some time ago that we may not like it if God were to use that same measure of judgement on ourselves that we use on others.  I agree.  I can be thankful that despite my many faults, that it is Christ Jesus who never wavers nor changes {Hebrews 13:8}.  The love of Christ is not based on status or behavior.  His same love that enveloped me is the same love he lavishes upon others as well.  We love Him because He first loved us.  Not only that, we are called to love one another as He Himself loved us {John 13:34}.

1Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. 2For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. 3Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. 5One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind.6He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; aand he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
Romans 14: 1 - 6 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: