Sunday, March 4, 2018

Our False Image



 16Therefore, from now on, we regard no one according to the flesh. Even though we have known Christ according to the flesh, yet now we know Him thus no longer. 17Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
2 Corinthians 5: 16 - 17 NKJV

I have to admit that one of my shortcomings, if you can call it that, is that I just CANNOT deal with arrogant people.  Those around me who seem to think that it's their way or the highway, that the world revolves around them.  Yes, it is these arrogant souls who all too often draw my contempt.  Lately, however, I've been noticing that those very same behaviors which I've found so deplorable in others around me are also the same faults I've seen in myself.  Imagine that.  Now, I'm not going to sit here and attempt to justify my own behaviors while ridiculing others.  No, when the time comes you need to call a spade a spade.  I am sure that there are all too many people out there who spend their lives living in the belief that they are Gods gift to others.  This is our own false image.  Why do I call this mispalced confidence a false image?  Well, the apostle Paul tells us in Galations that it is no longer we who live, but Christ Jesus who lives in us {Galations 2:20}.  So, if Jesus Himself lives in us, are we truly that arrogant soul who all too often surfaces?  Absolutely not!  We do well to remember that Jesus would have gone unseen by people of His day were He not in the flesh of a man.  God...and man.  Now, I can imagine the pushback if those who have accepted Jesus and harbor His spirit in them proudly proclaim that they are indeed Christ.  Just look at the reaction of the Jewish authorities as Jesus proclaimed that it was He who was the promised Messiah...the Son of God.  I have a feeling that we would receive pretty much the same reaction from those still stuck in the institutional system.  In fact, there remain to this day segments of the Jewish faith who hold to that belief that the promised Messiah is yet to come!  Boy, would I love to have a conversation with one of these dudes.

9Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11“The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12‘I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13“And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14“I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be dhumbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Luke 18: 9 - 14 NKJV

I will say that when we deceive ourselves into that belief that we are above anyone we fall into the trap of the independent self.  Can we honestly say that we exist seperate from God?  For if His Spirit is indeed within us, are we truly seperate from Him?  To think this way is really in error.  For there is nowhere we can go where Gods children are far from the Fathers presence.  To me, this is a comforting thought.  Others might find themselves convicted that they are truly not as alone as they thought.  Mind you, it's not up to us to point out to another that they are exhibiting that false image, that revelation comes from the Father in due time.  However, I feel that what we are obligated to do when others approach us is to share Christ who is in us.  Certainly, when we truly know He is in us, then Christ Jesus will be known to others through all that we do.  For we are that light of the world and salt of the earth {Matthew 5:13-14}.  I truly believe that some of the best testamonies of Christ can be found in those who carry His Spirit within them.  Honestly, this is how it was supposed to go down anyway.  It is Jesus Himself who became sin on our behalf that the burden would be lifted from us {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  You can see now just why I can call my personal pride a false identity.  For I can truly do nothing apart from Him.  I am lost without His love and mercy.

13“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.14“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15“Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5: 13 - 16 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: