Sunday, February 25, 2018

Hide And Seek



20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

I was listening to a old Billy Graham crusade this week when I ran across something interesting.  As the reverend Graham told it, it is we who need to live our lives representing He who lives in us.  Now, as Billy had all too often preached on the reality of hell for those who did not know God, I reacted to this with a bit of reservation.  Yes, the reality between heaven and hell is all very real, but there is also one who will save us from the torments of such a place.  He is the man Christ Jesus.  Granted, for a southern baptist preacher like Billy Graham to speak of the joy of Jesus living in us, I was encouraged.  So, what was ol' Billy talking about here?  Simple, when we live as Christ who is in us, then the rest of the world will indeed take notice.  The problem comes when we, as christians, play hide and seek with Christ who is in us.  Hide and seek?  Yes, when we unknowingly cover up Jesus who is in us, there is no way for Him to make Himself known through us.  That, my friends, is a tragedy.  For although Christ Jesus today is but in Spirit form, it is this form in which we are all created {Genesis 1:27}.  It is through us that Christ will be known and glorified.  When we refuse to allow Jesus to be known through us, others may not see Him.  The other day I came across a Facebook post from a friend who was all too happy to proclaim His success in a recent goal he had achieved.  Great, good job.  However, I also felt like posting "Dude, where is Christ in all of this?"  In the end I chose not to stir that pot.  Now, I'mnot saying that I have always been that prime example of Christ living through me.  On the contrary, it was not until He was revealed in me that I was even aware that I was closer to Jesus than I ever thought possible.  I'm sure that it's that way with others as well.  For how is it that will be aware of Jesus in us if it is not revealed by our heavenly Father?  The apostle Paul tells us in Galations that he himself was unaware of the Lord Jesus in him were it not for it being revealed in the Lords timing {Galations 1:16}.  As I said, I'm sure it's that way with all who will come to that realization of Jesus in them.  The bigger question is, what will He do through us once we are aware of His presence in us?

13“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men.
14“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15“Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5: 13 - 16 NKJV

So, what is it that Billy Graham was talking about and that we ourselves should be aware of?  Is that knowledge of Christ Jesus in us simply a invitation for good christian living?  Perhaps, but I think it goes deeper than that.  We do well to remember that even Jesus Himself would not have even been seen by those of His day had He not come in the form of a man.  Obviously, if Jesus, being in the Spirit form of the Father had arrived on the scene in His true form, we most likely would never would have seen Him.  What would have become of the gospels had this happened?  Obviously, Jesus needed to be seen by those around Him, hence His flesh form.  I mention this simply because that it works the very same way today as it did in Jesus' day.  Christ Jesus is still in His Spirit image, nothing has or ever will change in that regard {Hebrews 13:8}.  Knowing this, we can rest assured that the ONLY way for others to see Jesus today is through those who He lives through.  We are, as Jesus tells us in Matthew 5, the light of the world.  We are to let our light "shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."  We are the flesh, and He is the Spirit.  Paul recognized that to "live is Christ and to die is gain" {Philippians 1:21}.  So, are we told to hide His Spirit which is within us?  Jesus tells us that men do not light a lamp only to put it under a basket {Matthew 5:15}.  I was reminded this week of a song I once sang in sunday school.  Many may recall this song as well.  "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine!"  Shine, Jesus...shine!

~Scott~

1 comment:

Dennis Deardorff said...

I'm so confused. How can we hide Christ? He is our life (Col.3:4). We are not alive except as Him (Gal. 2:20). Our live is hidden, no longer visible. He is who we are. This is old "separation" talk.