Friday, February 2, 2018

Our Quiet Assurance



3‘Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.'
Jeremiah 33: 3 NKJV

I got into a discussion with a friend recently over just how we hear from our heavenly Father.  Throughout scripture we are told of the patriarchs of our faith who not only knew God, but communicated with Him often.  From our own creation history we are told of how God spoke with His creaton in the garden.  I believe that more than just simple communication that God shared not only His words with men and women of old but His thoughts and desires as well.  I envision two friends sharing a intimate conversation with both knowing within themselves what the other was thinking.  Some call such a conversation a heart to heart, I believe it is more like that quiet assurance between two friends who know one another all too well.  We've all had those close friendships in our own lives that were extremely close.  My friend will also use the example of a husband and wife to describe that communication we share with God, with both often knowing what the other is thinking.  See, I grew up in the belief that God, is His own timing, would simply speak His spoken word to me if He needed me to know something.  Of course, I may not have had that intimate relationship with my Lord that I would intimately know in my own heart what He wanted me to hear.  So, how is it that those who do not know God on a more personal level will know just what He is trying to let them know?  Do we need to pray more, read our bibles or venture out on a journey of spiritual discovery of some kind?  I don't think that either of these will bring us closer to God than our own intimate relationship we have when He is revealed within us.  This is the key that I believe opens up a new understanding of God.  We don't need to seek Him, He's in the same place He's always been within us.  It's not that God has suddenly changed, but that what He has always been has been revealed to us.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2: 20 NKJV

I remember times in my own life when I would be in tears as I begged God to tell me what He wanted me to know.  Well, the radio was always on, it's just that the antenae wasn't picking up the signal yet.  That doesn't mean that God wasn't already there in my life, it's just that my own relationship with Him was not all too deep at that point.  Think of the example of a married couple, do newlyweds share a deep, intimate understanding of one another from the get go?  No, for that is part of a relationship which matures over time.  It isn't until a husband and wife have been through the challanges of a life lived together that a deeper relationship develops.  I know that in our microwave speed world that this might seem impossible to attain, but for those who remain commited and patient the reward is a deeper relationship with one another.  Is it any wonder, then, that the divorce rate in our nation is as high as it is?  What chance does a union with two impatient people have?  Of course, once we learn to look beyond ourselves we just might be able to enjoy a deeper relationship with another.  Communicating with God is not akin to walking up to someone on the street and asking a question, it goes much deeper than that.  My mother used to have saying whenever I would ask her how she knew what her Lord was saying to her.  In those times she would smile and tell me, "I just know that I know."  That's good advice from someone who walked with Her Lord most of her life.  Knowing what God wants us to know isn't all that complicated once we know Him on a more personal level.  With a relationship like this...we know that we know.

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.
John 17: 20 -  23 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: