Saturday, February 3, 2018

The Gathering

Not your typical church


23Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.24And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works,25not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
Hebrews 10: 23 - 25 NKJV

There was another interesting discussion this week over a verse many have pointed to as a commandment for all good christians to go to church.  Indeed, many a pulpit pounder has often refered to this passage to keep his pews full each Sunday.  I'm talking, of course, about the apostle Pauls exortation of the followers of Jesus of his day to not fear to gather in their faith despite their surroundings.  Of course, this passage we find in Hebrews 10 has been misconstrued all too often.  We are told that this is our command, no, our duty to attend church every week like the good obedient christians that we are.  Believe me, I've toiled over this passage many times in my own christian walk.  Each time I would miss church for one reason or another I envisioned the apostle Paul shaking his finger at me in disapointment!  Imagine my curiosity when the head pulpit pounder would often take his own sabatical to recoup from the pressures of the every day pastor life.  Did he feel that same condemnation I did when I missed a Sunday?  I think not.  Don't get me wrong, I believe that we all need to come together as believers in Christ Jesus.  However, this is where my idea of church and the local pastors version mill probably differ.  So, who is it that decides where I need to "gather" in fellowship if I am a follower of Jesus?  Is it the pastor, the elders or a mentor?  If we turn our eyes to the early church of the followers of Jesus we see a much different gathering among those of the faith.  These early christians would all too often gather in each others homes in fellowship.  Now, the closest I have seen our modern church come to this was the introduction of home groups into the church system.  I have been involved in more than a few of these and found them to be welcoming and non pressure based.  I'm guessing that's what the early church wanted from their own meetings as well.

44Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need. 46So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44 - 47 NKJV

So, who is it that decides where it is that we are to gather in Christ?  Is Jesus Himself bound to one building and we will only be in His presence if we gather in a certain location?  No, on both counts.  I'll get a bit deeper into this issue with the knowing of just where Christ dwells today.  We're told that Jesus Himself lives through those who have accepted Him {Galations 2:20}.  There is no seperation between us and God, He is always in us.  Furthermore, we are told that there is now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ {Romans 8:1}.  I wonder if the local pastor even read that passage before guilting his flock into church on Sunday.  No matter, I know in my own heart that it is not the pastor who decides where I need to gather in Christ Jesus.  I believe that since it is Jesus Himself who lives through us, that He is the best judge of just where we're to assemble in His name.  For some time now, a small group of men has been gathering at a local fast food joint each Sunday morning.  This is our gathering...this is our church.  We were not directed by a pastor that this was the right thing to do.  We just knew that it was.  We knew that Jesus, living through each of us, would be there no matter where we gathered.  I can't speak for the other guys, but I don't feel the least bit guilty for meeting up with Jesus outside of Gods house.  I find it encouraging that as the early followers of Jesus gathered in each others homes that the Lord "added to the church daily those were being saved."

1There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, whoa do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
Romans 8: 1 - 2 NKJV

~Scott~



No comments: