Thursday, February 1, 2018

Seasons



2My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,3knowing that the testing of your faith produces apatience. 4But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. 5If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him. 6But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.
James 1: 2 - 6 NKJV

Growing up in northern Minnesota I grew used to those signs of the changing of the seasons.  Longer days and melting ice rinks could only mean that Spring was almost upon us.  Likewise, that chill in the air would all too often tell us that Fall was coming and with it more snow than you could possibly ever shovel.  I believe that those seasons in our own lives will also bring forth very pronounced and all too familiar signs that tell us that we are indeed in the midst of another trial in our christian walk.  Of course, by the time we are in the midst of our own trials, those signs might be mute indeed.  If there is one thing that I am certain of, it's that we WILL encounter those times of trial and difficulty in our daily walk.  This by no means is a indication that we have somehow lost favor with God in any way.  We are not being punished as more than a few old testament pulpit pounders would shout from their pulpits.  Far from it.  However, the very idea that the same loving heavenly Father is but a God of avenging fire and brimstone seems to still be a popular belief in the institutional church.  Too many christians today find it hard to believe that the very nature of our Lord...is love.  Yes, love for all He has created.  God, is love {1 John 4:8}.  Yet that image of a vengeful God runs rampant, I get it.  I get it because that is how I saw God for far too long.  God was someone who if I didn't perform the right way would become angry and turn His back to me.  Like the signs of the changing seasons, I would know that I was doing something to anger God if I found myself in a trial in my life.  In these times I was told that I simply wasn't behaving well enough, not tithing enough or slacking off in my church attendance.  God was keeping score.

31Jesus answered them, “Do you now believe? 32“Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. 33“These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you fwill have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”
John 16: 31 - 33 NKJV

I recall reading the first chapter of the book of James and feeling confused.  Here was James, the Lords own brother and definately a follower of Jesus telling us all not to fear those very trials which we all will face.  Instead, James tells us to "count it all joy" when we encounter these trials.  At first it sounded like a set up.  I was to count it all joy all so that God could become angered at me?  Of course, this was not the case at all.  Was God angry at Moses, Abraham and the apostle Paul in their trials?  I think not.  See, there is a huge difference between anger and correction.  There a big difference between indifference and love.  I believe that our own trials do not bring God joy, but how we respond to them may indeed grieve Him.  How is it that we respond to our own changing seasons?  Well, for me it was with disapointment and anger, anger at a God who first loved me.  All too often I found myself asking in anger, "why me God?"  Thinking back, why wouldn't I ask Him why not me?  Was I special in some way?  Well, I am special in that my true identity is with He who lives in me {Galations 2:20}.  If God was indeed so despised and angered with me, then why would He provide for the wiping away of those sins which haunted me?  Why would He find within me a place for Him to dwell if it was me He was upset with?  Somehow that idea of a angry and vengeful God was not working for me.  A God whose very nature is to love could not hold such contempt for me.  Despite the changing seasons of our lives, we can be assured that it is God who is walking through them with us.  Instead of asking why God...we should be asking what are you doing through me God?

24And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He was asleep. 25Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!” 26But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm. 27So the men marveled, saying, “Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?”
Matthew 8: 24 - 27 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: