Sunday, August 18, 2019

Words Of The Heretics



1Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but atest the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3and every spirit that does not confess 1that Jesus 2Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world.
1 John 4: 1 - 3 NKJV

I've been seen as a heratic in some circles.  Yet, I've also been seen as a unbeliever in others.  So, which one am I?  I'm neither a heretic nor a unbeliever.  Well, that depends on who it is that you ask.  For there are those I've met who might tell a different story.  I think it's safe to say that not every christian is going to see things the same way.  This is evidenced in the many different churches and bible translations we see the world over.  I get it.  But, if I don't agree with what you see as the gospel does that make me a heretic?  I'd say no.  I do a lot of listening to radio preachers.  Let me tell you, I've heard plenty of differing views of the scriptures from these pulpit pounders whom others see as the biblical authority simply because they have the words "pastor" or "doctor" in front of their name.  Well, I'm not buying it.  You can if you want to, but I believe that the apostle John himself asked us to "test the spirits" for a reason.  Why do we test the spirits?  Imagine if more than a few followers of Jim Jones had tested the spirits.  How many lives might have been saved?  As John claims, there is a smell test for knowing if someone is at least speaking of God.  That is, every spirit that confesses that "Jesus Christ has come in the flesh" is of God.  John knew, as many of todays christians do, that many false prophets have come into the world.  However, I still say that a false prophet is simply not someone who disagrees with your view of the gospel.  Did you know that there there are some Jews today who hold fast to the belief that the promised Messiah has yet to come?  Would you call them false prophets?  There are those christians who hold fast that believers must adhere to the ten commandments, despite scriptures telling us we are no longer bound by the old covenant.  Yet, I don't hear anyone refering to these people as false prophets.  Funny how that works.

3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and ibe turned aside to fables.
1 Timothy 4: 3 - 4 NKJV

So, why should we be aware of so many false prophets and teachers today?  Well, simply put, because we've asked for them.  As Paul tells us, our "itching ears" have stacked up one teacher after another who tell us what it is we want to hear.  Todays christianity is full of congregations that have popped up simply because they did not agree with the teachings of another congregation or pastor.  I was personally involved in a congregation which split because of a assistant pastors desire to lead his own congregation.  I never heard anyone call him a heretic.  So, depending on who you ask, I may or may not be a heretic.  Why?  Because I believe that Christ Jesus dwells in me {Galations 2:20}.  Because I believe that I am now dead to the sin nature that once controlled me {Romans 6: 6-11}.  Because I refuse to buy into a pulpit pounder who continues to preach that I have sins which need forgiving!  Did Jesus somehow miss a few sins as He hung on the cross?  Remember, there were those in the days of Jesus who claimed Jesus was of satan {Matthew 12:24}.  Do you believe that Jesus is a heretic?  Well, if you refer to me as a heretic then you are condemning Christ as well.  For I am created in His very image and have His indwelling Spirit within me.  I am all that Jesus is.  So, am I still a heretic?  Now, you might huff and puff as you try to find some cherry picked scripture to disprove my words, good luck with that.  Just because I hold to a different view of scripture than you do DOES NOT make me a heretic.  Nevertheless, I heard the word heretic tossed out by a man who once met with us each sunday morning.  Apparently we didn't fit his image of what a christian should be.  I will say that this is not for us to judge.  For once we place ourselves in thejudgement seat reserved for God, then we are doing His work for Him.  Nothing good can come from that.

7Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God. 8He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.
1 John 4: 7 - 8 NKJV

~Scott~


No comments: