Sunday, May 10, 2020

Making God



"God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands.  "Nor is He worshipped with men's hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things."
Acts 17: 24 - 25 NKJV

I won't be in Gods house this Sunday.  Well, not the house most people associate with Him.  I won't be sitting in a favorite pew, nor will I be listening to some pulpit pounders sermon on how I need to repent or face Gods wrath.  Been there, done that.  Like most, I will be forced to remain at home and watch a worship service online if I choose.  I have to say, I'm not missing much.  I watched the news this week of many a pastor lamenting the fact that they could not tend to their flocks in their local church.  One padre even went so far as to claim that "Gods house" had been ordered closed for the time being.  I thought to myself, how arrogant can this man be?  Yes, you may have used brick and mortar and congregation funds to build your ornate temple, but it IS NOT Gods house.  I guess I cannot blame them for referring to the church in such a way, as we've been doing that for years.  Some people, myself included, may have wondered as to why some people refer to it as the "Institutional church."  Well, the reason for this is that our churches and our church traditions are all created by man.  That's right, somewhere along the line, someone came up with the idea for a church service and put it into practice.  Needless to say, this has never been something God has suggested we do.  Now, don't get me wrong, I believe that meeting, getting together in His name is something we should never forsake.  For some time, I gathered with a small group of men each Sunday at a local fat food joint for coffee and talking about Jesus.  There was no sermon, offering or praise and worship music, but I know that Jesus was there among us.  God has never been impressed with the best looking church, he who gives the most or sings the loudest.  This is not a competition for His favor.  If it were, then I may just finish in last place.  For I have never built a brick and mortar church, spoke a sermon or led a praise and worship service.  All I do is show up, rejoice in His presence with a few friends and then leave.  Yes, there may be more than a few pastors out there who will say that I am backsliding, but I disagree.  I'm rejoicing in the freedom I've found in Christ Jesus.

And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us.  And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.
Colossians 2: 13 - 14 NKJV

I believe that something Christians need to understand is that we do not create God.  See, God created us, it doesn't work too well the other way around.  How are we creating God, you say?  Well, each time we have the arrogance to claim that the buildings we create are somehow "His" house, as if God Himself chooses to only dwell there.  The apostle Paul spoke to this to the Greeks in Athens when he proclaimed that God "Does not dwell in temples made with hands" {Acts 17:24}.  I'm thinking that more than a few pastors today need to hear that message as well.  I think of the underlying message in using the phrase "Gods house" to describe ones church.  So, are we then claiming that God dwells only in this building?  We must be, or we would describe our church as "One of Gods houses."  I believe that a better phrase would be something along the lines of, "Where we gather in His name."  However, I'm thinking that would be too much to write on a billboard.  So, if God does not dwell in temples made with hands, where does He dwell?  Simple, God dwells in us.  When Jesus spoke of the church He was not speaking of a building, but of the people who believed in Him.  We are the church.  Paul spoke to Gods dwelling place in Galatians where he acknowledges that it is Christ Jesus who lives in him {Galatians 2:20}.  Knowing that Christ is in me, I can confidently say that I AM GODS HOUSE.  Not only that, but He dwells in all of who believe and trust in Jesus.  It is Christ Jesus who is the head of the church of God, that all believers belong to.  We are one body together, but members of one another {Romans 12:5}.  God does not dwell in temples made with hands, but in those whom He created.

And He is the head of the body, the church who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.
Colossians 1: 18 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: