Sunday, November 29, 2020

What About Me?

 




Also He spoke this parable to those who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.  "The Pharisee stood and prayed thus to himself, 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men - extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.  'I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.'  And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'  "I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." 

John 18: 9 - 14 NKJV 


I was thumbing through a self help book the other day when something caught my eye.  It seems that the author had a surefire way to start a conversation and make anyone feel at ease.  That secret, is to encourage anyone you meet to talk about themselves.  Now, to some this might sound whacky, but I saw a bit of truth in his theory.  Indeed, we as humans have the undying knack of hyping ourselves when nobody else seems willing to.  We all too often seek the limelight.  We desire the compliments of the job well done.  I get it.  I've talked well about myself from time to time as well.  Perhaps the reason that getting someone to talk about themselves in a conversation doesn't seem too hard to do is because we do it so well?  Just a thought.  Now, I don't see anything wrong with doing this, as long as others around you aren't preparing a shallow grave while you're doing it.  That is, if you are talking positively about yourself and those around you agree, then you're good.  I see that as a form of affirmation if you will.  However, if you ever find yourself speaking compliments about yourself and others do not seem interested, your best bet is to abandon the conversation post haste.  Just a little advice on how to win friends and influence people.  In Christian circles, self advertising is all too often seen as being haughty, arrogant or prideful.  But, where do we draw the line?  Well, let me give you a example.  In the past few months, I've gotten quite good at my weight training at the gym.  So much so, that I've been able to press some impressive weight totals.  Now, if I were thinking as Jesus, I would explain that it was through Him that I've been able to accomplish my goals.  However, I could also tell everyone who would listen that it was my abilities alone that allowed me to reach such heights.  Which one of these statements shows the most arrogance?  I'll make it a bit easier, whenever we we place ME above HE...we're going down the wrong path.  What am I without God?  What good are my abilities had not the Lord breathed the breath of life {Genesis 2:7} into me?  Indeed, it doesn't take much to see that, apart from God, we are nothing.  As the Lord is all in all, so He is in all we will ever see or experience.  


But "he who glories, let him glory in the LORD."  For not he who commends himself is approved, but whom the Lord commends.

2 Corinthians 10: 17 - 18 NKJV 


I have known a good many people who have been good at a good many things.  I've also known a good many people who have had no issues with pointing out how good it is that they are.  Usually, when I hear someone talking like this my first thought is, 'where is God in all of this?'  Maybe I'm far too humble at heart, but I also recognize that God is to have a significant place in our lives.  One of my main goals is to someday organize these blog posts into a publication of some sort.  If that is where the Lord leads me, then His will be done.  I believe that in order for us to avoid the pitfalls of pride, that Jesus needs to be the central piece of all that we do.  After all, it is Christ Jesus with whom I share everything with.  It is Jesus who lives through me {Galatians 2:20}.  The apostle Paul assured us of this truth.  Can I ever rise above the glory of Jesus?  Through my own pride I might just think that I can.  Remember, Lucifer also had false thoughts of being greater than God {Isaiah 14: 13-13}.  It was also the deceiver who claimed the lie to Adam and Eve that they could be separate from God {Genesis 3:4-5}.  It is this lie which has done much damage to our own relationship with Jesus.  Jesus prayed that we would be one with He and the Father {John 17:21}.  Yet, contemporary Christianity continues to claim that there is a separation between ourselves and God.  The most which we can hope for, it seems, is to 'be like' Jesus.  Well, at risk of being seen as arrogant, I AM Jesus.  Indeed, if Jesus lives through me and experiences all which I do, I am part of Him.  This is the answered prayer of Christ we see in John 17.  Through Jesus, we are one with the Father.  So, knowing this, is there anything we will ever accomplish that Jesus has not already had a hand in?  Yes, I've made some great strides in my exercise goals, but I accomplished that as Christ who is in me.  Whatever it is you are thinking you're good at, it is but a extension of the Lord Jesus within you.


For who makes you differ from another?  And what do you have that you did not receive?  Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it? 

1 Corinthians 4: 7 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: