Saturday, November 21, 2020

Why Should God Hurt?

 




For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Romans 8: 18 NKJV 


I was pondering this week that there seems to be a lot of sad, dejected Christians out there in the world.  Perhaps you are one of them.  You've been told for some time that in order to be a Christian that you need to face trials, that you will have bad times.  Hey, brother, that's life.  But, why do we naturally assume that just because we are Christians that the world will automatically be against us and that sadness will most always accompany us?  While I agree that there is and will be a lot of sadness and hurt in this world, I also set my heart upon the One who created the world and all that we see.  So, I found myself asking a few questions this week.  Was it Gods intention for us to walk through each and every day in misery for His sake?  I would say no.  However, many well meaning Christians would point to that famous scripture out of the book of James which tells us to rejoice in our afflictions {James 1:2}.  Does this guarantee that we are to remain sad due to our own lot in life?  NO!  What James was writing about here was that when the hard times do come, that we should not become lost in our frustration and sadness, but rejoice in the big picture of what God is accomplishing through us.  That is...patience.  Indeed, nothing will teach us more about patience than going through life's trials.  Most all of us can attest to that.  However, there is a huge difference in living a life of sadness and a life of joy in the Lord knowing what to do when the bad times come.  This, I believe, is what James was attempting to get across.  So, are we meant to suffer just because we are Christians?  I would say no.  Why would the Lord, who's very nature is love, ensure that His children are distressed?  Why would God provide for our union in Him only to have us in sadness?  Maybe a good deal of our walking around in sadness has less to do with our situation and more to do with who it is we think we are.  Would you walk in sadness and dejection if you knew in your heart that you were walking as Christ?  The truth of living as Christ is revealed to us by the apostle Paul in Galatians {Galatians 2:20}.  Was Jesus Himself always sad and dejected? 


Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ.  Through whom we also have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.  And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope.  Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Romans 1: 1 - 5 NKJV 


I look back upon the time Jesus spent with His apostles.  I'm talking day to day times when He was not teaching, but living among His followers.  Did they laugh?  Did they tell jokes with one another?  Did they share the good times they all experienced?  Of course.  The notion that we, as Christians, need to walk around as some somber zombies awaiting the bad times in our lives is ridiculous.  I refuse to ever subscribe to that idea.  In fact, I rejoice in the fact that I do follow Christ Jesus.  I am glad in my heart that He does live through me.  I am happy and thankful that God thought enough of me to ensure my union with Him {John 17:21}.  I will never be that sad Christian.  Now, that doesn't mean that I do not know how to handle the bad situations when they arrive.  I do not look upon these bad times as Gods punishment, but as my learning opportunity.  I have gotten into the habit, when bad times arrive, of asking "What are you doing in through this, Lord?"  I know that the Lord always has a purpose for what He does, so I ask Him.  One question I came across this week was...should knowing God hurt?  Should we be destined to a life of sorrow if we follow Him?  Again, I think I've laid out some pretty convincing thoughts on why being a Christian doesn't mean that we should walk in sadness.  Ask yourself, do you see Jesus as always being in sorrow?  After all, for those of us who trust in our union with Him...we ARE Jesus.  This is something we should all rejoice in.  We can't control when or where the hard times will come, but we can control how it is that we respond to them when they do.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: