Saturday, January 23, 2021

Learning To Let Go

 




And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.

Galatians 6: 9 NKJV 


There is a common phrase out there that I was reminded of this week.  In fact, it is one my mother used to remind me of every so often when my own impatience would overtake me.  Let go and let God.  Yes, let go and let God do the effort.  Sounds simple right?  Yet there are far too many occasions where I (and more than a few others I'm assuming) continue to work in the arena which the Lord is more suited for.  I get it.  My mother would tell me a story every so often of when I was young and would be working on one model airplane project or another.  There were times when I would get frustrated at the parts not fitting together that I would lose whatever patience I had.  She would then suggest that I take a break from what I was doing.  No!  Not until the project is finished.  See, I wanted to fix it.  I wanted to make right what I saw as a bad situation.  In my older years, I've often seen the very same behavior in more than a few situations I get involved in.  Situations which have one clear cut answer.  Let go and let God.  For one thing, it sure as heck would spare me a lot of stress and turmoil.  But why stress out over something which is better left to the Lord to manage?  Because I want to fix it that's why.  In some ways I'm still that little kid struggling with that model airplane.  So where is the line drawn in those situations where we are better off allowing God to do what He does best?  Perhaps to better understand this is to understand the words of the apostle Paul in his description of the truth of Christ Jesus.  See, Paul believed that it was Jesus who was living through him {Galatians 2:20}.  Paul understood that it was ultimately Jesus who did the heavy lifting in his life.  Whatever it is that we are dealing with.  Whatever situation has us flustered.  It is Jesus who is there to work on our behalf if we allow Him to.  Let go and let God.  


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."


Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


I can honestly say that I don't believe that it is the desire of Jesus that we attempt to handle each and every situation alone.  It is Jesus who instructs us not to worry over such things {Matthew 6:25}.  I feel that a big reason that many try to work in situations best suited for God is the mistaken belief that we are alone.  If I don't do something then who will?  Well, we're not alone.  We never have been.  It is Christ Jesus who shares in each and every thing which we do.  Therefore, when we reach that point where things may seem a bit overwhelming, it is Jesus who is there with us.  For those who have realized the truth of Christ in us, letting go and letting God is as simple as allowing Christ to work through us.  Why should we stress when we have Jesus working with us?  Maybe that's why He didn't want us to worry.  Because when we worry, we tend to try to fix things ourselves.  What good is it for me to get frustrated when Jesus is there to tell me, "I got this."  To live as one with Jesus is to know that there will never be any part of our life that He is not intimately involved in.  Once we understand this, the daily struggles of life don't seem so hard anymore.  Let go and let God.


Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you.

1 Peter 5: 6 - 7 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: