Monday, January 25, 2021

More Than Words

 




For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Romans 15: 4 NKJV 


If anyone has read my page for more than in passing, you would notice that I often quote my scriptures from the New King James version of the bible.  It's not really a coincidence, for at my desk is a copy of a Charles Stanley study bible in the NKJV translation.  Yes, I was a big Charles Stanley fan back in the day.  So, why does all of this matter in the big scheme of Christianity?  Well, it seems that sooner or later the question will pop up in Christian circles over which bible translation is the "most" accurate or holds better to the original text.  Honestly, I have no idea.  The reason that I use the NKJV in my study is that it sounds more...lifelike.  I tried working with the King James version, but there were far too many thee's and thou's for me to deal with.  That was just the language of the day.  So, again, why does all of this chatter matter?  Is it really that important to the Lord which translation we get His word from?  I think not.  A good friend of mine who shall remain nameless and continues the frustrating practice of answering questions with even more questions (despite my own tendency to do the same) has taken to using the Concordant version of scripture in the vain hopes that this version would somehow give us a glimpse into the meaning of scripture.  I remain unconvinced.  We're told that ALL scripture is of benefit to us {2 Timothy 3:16}.  I take that to mean my NKJV, the concordant and, yes, even that silly Hawaii bible from a few years back.  So, if all scripture is used for basically the same benefit, why our struggle to get the most accurate true to the gospel version?  Well, we naturally want to know what the writers of the scripts intended when they wrote the scriptures.  So, we created for ourselves concordances for the scriptures.  Now, it seems to me that what we've been seeking all along with all of these different translations is clarification.  What did the writers mean to say?  That can be a sticky topic when you get into different languages such as Hebrew, Greek and other dialects.  Remember this, however, it is not the scriptures which have changed, we've changed the scriptures to suit our own thoughts.


For prophesy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit.

2 Peter 1: 21 NKJV


I've often wondered what portions of my go to text of the NKJV are simply added to suit the thoughts of the day.  That is, the attitudes of those who transcribed it.  It's no secret that our own thoughts, feelings and beliefs can and do influence how we ultimately see things.  Some call this our "filter."  I have a filter, and most assuredly the translators of the scriptures had their own filters as well.  Do these filters change at all the meaning of scripture?  I would say no.  Like a political spin doctor, there have been those who have added their own spin to the texts we often read.  How many of you grew up reading the old testament and coming away with the idea that God was angry and vengeful?  This God who provided for the birth of Christ Jesus and the washing of my sins was vengeful?  Yet we see this attitude added to many a Sunday sermon.  The scriptures didn't change...we changed.  I'm of the belief that if we are seeking the meaning of scripture we should go to the author Himself.  Think about it, who would know more about scripture than God?  I truly believe that through His revelation that He will open our understanding to whatever passages we are wondering about.  Now, will God use different translations of scripture to reveal Himself?  Absolutely!  I recall reading the words of the apostle Paul as the reality of Christ Jesus was revealed by the Lord in me {Galatians 2:20}.  Could the Lord have chosen a different translation to reveal this truth?  Yes, but He chose to use that which I had on hand.  It was through these words of Paul that I came to the realization of Christ in me.  The importance is not on which translation He used, but on the result He achieved in me.  It is through scripture that He will be revealed.  


"You search the scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of me.  "But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life."

John 5: 39 - 40 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: