Saturday, September 10, 2022

A Cynical Disease

 




Be rejoicing always.  Be praying unintermittingly.  In everything be giving thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. 

1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18, Concordant New Testament


I know a guy.  A Guy I've known for awhile.  I've always found him to be a faithful man, never failing to give a scripture reference to apply to life's situations.  Yet, after spending a bit of time with him you will undoubtedly notice something.  Positivity runs from him like a wounded dog.  See, he has the habit of seeing even the most positive of situations in a negative light.  Now, there will be times in our lives when positivity is difficult to see.  I get it.  However, to have a continuous negative outlook not only infects you but those around you as well.  Let's be honest, who wants to be around someone who is constantly negative?  The only reason that I tolerate it as much as I do is because I know him to have a good heart, and I get paid to be there.  Indeed, I have spent more than enough time with him to have gained a understanding in to why it is that he acts like he does.  Like most of us, he's had some rough circumstances in his life.  Whether these instances have led to his negative attitudes I cannot say.  However, I do know that he has been affected by them.  Many Christians would be shocked to learn that, as believers, we are never promised that our lives will be all smiles and sunshine.  Yes, we have been blessed with the love and grace of our heavenly Father.  Yet receiving His blessings in no way guarantees that our lives will be free of bad circumstances.  I believe that the key to helping us overcome those circumstances in our lives is to keep our minds centered that we are buffeted only for a season.  What we might seem as an eternity in our eyes is but a blink of an eye to the Lord.  To God, time is of no consequence.  Shouldn't the very fact that God has us in the palm of His hand be cause for rejoicing for us?  Yes, life has its pitfalls, but we have far more to rejoice over than to think in the negative.  


Now we are aware that God is working all together for the good of those who are loving God, who are called according to His purpose. 

Romans 8: 28, Concordant New Testament 


I asked a friend some time ago, "When have you thought of God and not felt happy?"  To my relief, he couldn't think of one time.  Yet my question rings true to anyone who is fed up, frustrated or ready to throw in that towel.  When has hearing about God not made you happy?  Now, I'm not talking about some doom and gloom Lords punishment sermon here.  No, I'm asking you, how do you feel when you think of God?  For me, thinking of the Lord lifts my heart and gives me a sense of relief and happiness.  I would suggest that in those times where we feel that we are being far too cynical that we recall a time when we were happy in the Lord.  See, I believe that God has no place at all for cynicism and that His desire is for us to be happy in Him.  But for someone who has felt the pain of bad circumstances, God might be the last thought on their minds.  If they do think of Him, it will more than likely be that He is punishing them in some way.  Sadly, the mainstream church has perpetuated this idea in its theology.  God loves me.  He created me in His image.  He has provided for my future in Him.  BUT, this is all contingent on how I behave.  If I fall short, the fire and brimstone punishment of the Lord will certainly come to pass.  So says the church.  But Jesus tells us a different story.  It is Jesus who proclaims that if one of the Fathers sheep is lost, that He will gather it once again to Himself {Luke 15:4-6}.  What do I have to feel negatively about?  My life?  My life is but a vapor and I will be with my Father for eternity.  My circumstances?  There is NOTHING which God cannot overcome.  In fact, in everything I do He is working it for the good.  God does not evoke negativity, but happiness.  We shall rejoice in Him.  


"What man of you, having a hundred sheep, and loosing one of them, is not leaving the ninety-nine in the wilderness and is going after the lost one, till he may be finding it?  And finding it, he places it on his shoulders, rejoicing.  And coming into the house, he is calling together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, "Rejoice together with me that I found my sheep that was lost!" 

Luke 15: 4-6, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: