Friday, September 2, 2022

The Man In The Mirror

 




I'm starting with the man in the mirror

I'm asking him to change his ways

And no message could have been any clearer

If they wanna make the world a better place 

Take a look at yourself and then make a change 

Michael Jackson ~ Man In The Mirror


There's an image which I used to use at the headline of my blog pages which showed a woman gazing into a mirror at a reflection of Jesus.  For me, this image held a deeper meaning.  For the casual observer, however, it might not have the same effect.  Indeed, one must understand the context in which I see this photo in order to understand.  The reality is that when I look upon myself I don't see the man that many in the world see.  Sure, you may look at me and judge me by the flesh and blood which stands before you.  However, this isn't the man that I am.  My identity is in Christ.  This doesn't mean that the Father did not create me in his very image ( A deeper conversation we will dive into soon), but that my one true identity in in Jesus.  The apostle Paul, himself a strong voice for Jesus, describes this reality in Galatians.  It is Paul who proclaims for us that it is Christ who dwells in him {Galatians 2:20}.  Now, some well meaning Christians may disregard his words as being "simply meant for Paul."  However, I would also point out a few other passages where Paul reveals for us the truth of Christ Jesus in us {Romans 6:8, 1 Cor 13:12-13}.  I believe that Paul's words on this topic aren't simply observations about himself, but the greater revelation of Christ Jesus in us.  Can you understand just why the picture of the man in the mirror holds a greater meaning to me now?  My self image isn't based upon what the world sees, but on the revelation that I have been given.  Make no mistake, his knowing of the indwelling Christ was not a knowing which Paul was born with. This was something which was revealed to him by the Father on the road to Damascus {Galatians 1:15-16}.  Indeed, my own revelation of Christ in me came in a similar way.  


For at present we are observing by means of a mirror, in an enigma, yet then, face to face.  At present I know out of an installment, yet then I shall recognize according as I am recognized also.  

1 Corinthians 13: 12, Concordant New Testament. 


Paul also takes this revelation a step further when he speaks to the "Full knowledge" of who we truly are {1 Corinthians 13:12}.  A friend asked of me in an email recently if I was fully known?  Good question.  Am I fully known?  When others look upon me do they see me for who I really am?  Paul tells us that this being fully known will come to us in the future.  We know this for his wording in 1 Corinthians 13:12 of "Then I shall recognize."  For the present, I gaze into that mirror and I see Jesus.  However, those around me do not perceive Him in that mirror as I do.  Yet there will come a time when all will see me for who I really am...Christ Jesus.  Of course, there will come a time when I also will recognize those around me for who they are as well.  Yet I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm already aware of the true identity of those around me.  Needless to say, we Christians don't hold a monopoly on the indwelling Christ.  For the same spirit of Christ who lives in me lives in those around me as well.  Some have had their revelation while others have not.  I am blessed to have had the revelation of Christ Jesus in me.  He is the man in the mirror. 


~Scott~ 

No comments: