Saturday, October 15, 2022

A Walk Through The Valley




 Yet not only so, but we may be glorifying also in afflictions, having perceived that affliction is producing endurance, yet endurance testedness, yet testedness expectation. 

Romans 5: 3, Concordant New Testament 


There is a saying popular in Christian circles that we learn more in the valleys of our life experiences than we do on those mountain tops of good times.  I can honestly say from experience that this is indeed true.  My latest experience came this past week when I was faced with a troublesome situation once again.  Now, usually I would have followed the tried and true church model of contacting some friends in the church to have them lift me in immediate prayer.  This has been how those in the church have dealt with life's afflictions for many years.  We encounter a pothole on the road of life and we immediately pray to God for His deliverance.  I know that this is a rhetorical question, but don't you think that the Lord already knows our situation long before we encounter it.  So, we encounter a tough situation and immediately set out in prayer as if it is something new to God?  Remember that it is Christ Jesus who tells us that in this world we will indeed have difficulties {John 16:33}.  Jesus indeed knows that we will live a life filled with various afflictions.  He Himself lived a life of various afflictions as we do.  Life is not a smooth highway, but a bumpy road.  We might not learn where all those bumps in the road are, but we can definitely learn how to handle them better.  I believe that we can learn a lot from those troubling times in our lives.  Now, I'm not downplaying prayer by any means, and if we feel troubled we should indeed come to the Father in prayer.  However, what if we somehow shift our focus from how God can help us to what we can learn from what God is doing in our life?  What if, when afflictions come, our conversation with the Father begins with "What are You doing through me, Lord?"  At the end of the day, the Lord will use us for His own purpose.  Just a thought.  


For I am reckoning that the sufferings of the current era do not deserve the glory about to be revealed for us.  For the premonition of the creation is awaiting the unveiling of the sons of God.

Romans 8: 18-19, Concordant New Testament 


One thing I like about the writings of the apostle Paul is that many of them came through his own life experiences in the faith.  Regarding troubles in life, Paul had more than a few observations.  He proclaimed that our current sufferings were nothing compared to what our future in Christ holds for us {Romans 8:18}.  If anyone knew the sufferings of life, it was Paul.  However, he was also well aware of what his final destination was.  It is Paul who proclaims that we should be glorifying in our afflictions {Romans 5:3}.  Remember the old saying, that we learn more from the valleys in our lives than we do from the mountain tops.  So, as Paul tells us, glorify in those valleys of life and we will indeed develop the endurance we need to deal with them in the future.  If we know one thing, it's that the pitfalls of life will continue to plague us until the end.  How awesome is it to have such endurance of faith that when these times come that we can confidently face them as Christ who is in us?  I speak of the endurance of Paul, but Paul also prayed that the Lord would remove those afflictions that plagued him {2 Corinthians 12:7-9}.  The Lords response to Paul?  "My grace is sufficient for you" {2 Corinthians 12:9}.  This is why Paul spoke that "I will rather boast in my infirmities" {2 Corinthians 12:9}.  Paul knew that Jesus did indeed have the power to take those afflictions from him, but he chose to rejoice in the fact that through his moments of weakness, the strength of Christ was made perfect in him.  

It wasn't long into my recent affliction where I found myself thinking of the trials of Paul this past week.  A man of God, striving through his own troubles of life.  I prayed that I would not lose focus of what was most important to me.  Christ Jesus in me.  


And He has protested to me, "Sufficient for you is My grace, for My power in infirmity is being perfected."  With the greatest relish, then, will I rather be glorying in my infirmities, that the power of Christ should be tabernacling over me. 

2 Corinthians 12: 9, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: