Saturday, February 18, 2023

A Mediterranean Cruise

 




Now Paul, remaining still a considerable number of days with the brethren, taking leave, sailed off to Syria, and with him Priscilla and Aquila; having shorn his head in Cenchrea, for he had a vow.  Now they arrive at Ephesus and he left them there.  Yet he, entering the synagogue, argues with the Jews.  Yet at their asking him to stay on more time, he does not consent, but, taking leave and saying, "I shall come back again to you, God willing," he set out from Ephesus.  

Acts 18: 18-21, Concordant New Testament 


A recent conversation with a coworker brought me to the realization of the missionary journeys of the apostle Paul.  Besides being recognized as one of the best speakers of the gospel (s) of Christ who ever lived, Paul also is recognized for spreading that gospel throughout the ancient world.  His ministry took Paul from Israel in the south and up into the Mediterranean region north as far as Greece and what was then Asia as well.  My coworker is Egyptian by heritage, and Christian by belief.  He has shared with me accounts of how the Muslim Brotherhood tried to instill in him the edicts of the Muslim faith.  When he questioned those edicts, he was punished.  Desiring the freedom to practice the Christianity he knew, he immigrated with his family to this country some years ago.  The beliefs which he has become accustomed to are those of the Greek Orthodox church.  I can imagine that the apostle Paul had a hand in the introduction of the gospel of Jesus into the very region my friend hails from.  Indeed, Christianity has a strong foothold in that portion of the world, albeit in the watered down form of different parts of the religion.  You have the Greek Orthodox as well as Eastern Orthodox more common in the Russian territories.  There is also the Roman Catholic church, which expounds on the gospel of Jesus in its own way as well.  While adopting the gospels, these local Mediterranean religions also have put their own spin on what Paul spoke to the world.  I was made aware of this this past week as I attempted to have a conversation about Jesus with my friend.  It didn't take too long before I was able to see that the Greek Orthodox religion is steeped deeply in traditions.  There is Jesus, but Jesus, as in mainstream Christian teaching, is alive in heaven separated from the Gods children.  It is through my own upbringing that I am able to follow along with my friend as he attempts to male sense of who Jesus truly is.  


And coming down into Caesarea, going up and greeting the ecclesia, he descended to Antioch.  And, spending some time, he came away, passing consecutively through the Galatian province Phrygia, establishing all the disciples.  

Acts 18: 22-23, Concordant New Testament


I found myself thinking this week that my friends view of a far off Jesus was one that I once shared with him.  In my younger years, I was exposed to the "religion" of Christianity.  I knew OF Jesus, but I did not know Him as I do now.  When I speak of the Jesus I know to my friend, his common response is a look of confusion.  If I could, I would hear the cells of his mind racing as they struggled to comprehend this new Jesus he obviously has never been introduced to.  The Jesus of personal relationship.  He will pour over his Arabic scriptures, searching for some reference to what I am telling him about Jesus.  I get it.  I faced this very same struggle as I was introduced to the revelation of Christ in me.  The scriptures I knew and trusted were all from the lens of the church teachings.  When I was introduced to the letters of Paul, who describes the presence of Christ in us, I was confused.  The Jesus whom I was taught was far away from me, was in fact closer to me than I had ever known.  This is the struggle which my friend now faces.  A Jesus contrary to all which he has been taught.  A Jesus not desiring to domineer or punish, but to love.  As he journeys through his own revelation, my friend will retrace the steps which I took in my own journey of knowing Jesus.  I look forward to hearing his story.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: