Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Branded Man

 




I'd like to hold my head up and be proud of who I am

But they won't let my secret go untold

I paid the debt I owed'em

But they're still not satisfied

Now I'm a branded man out in the cold

Merle Haggard, Branded Man 


Have you ever wandered into a group of random people and wondered what they were thinking of you?  I was reminded of that this week as I went about my daily routine.  Now, when I go to the gym I come across more than a few interesting people.  Some I open up to, while others are content to just do their thing.  More often than not, when I'm working out, my thoughts will wander to what those around me are thinking about me.  IF they are even thinking about me.  Granted, I must seem pretty arrogant to even assume that those around me are spending their time thinking about what I'm wearing, how I look or anything about me period.  But this is where my mind goes sometimes.  In the past I have struggled with many self confidence issues, which might shed light on why I feel that others are being critical of me when in reality they're not.  I have a friend who has often referred to this as the minions of my former life coming back and demanding access to what Jesus now inhabits.  I can agree with that.  Lord knows that I am often harder on myself than anyone else can ever be.  I have some pretty high standards that need to be met I guess.  So, it seems that my self image issues are often transferred to others.  But here's the kicker, can I tell what others are thinking without them revealing it to me?  No.  I have no secret ability to read the thoughts of others.  So all of those people who I see as critiquing me might just as well be thinking about their own lives.  Maybe there are even more than a few people who wonder if I am critiquing them.  The best way to get on top of this is to get to the source.  I already know that I cannot tell what others are thinking.  That in itself should convince me that others are not thinking of me.  However, even if they are, I cannot assume that it is negative in nature.  Most important, the feelings of inadequacy I all too often carried with me have now been taken up by Jesus.  I am no longer the man I was.  Jesus paid that debt.  


With Christ I have been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, Who loves me, and gives Himself up for me.

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament 


Though I have never been to jail, I can understand how it would make one feel as if they have been branded for life.  Everywhere you go, that period of your life follows you.  In the eyes of many, it defines you.  So what is to be said of the sinner {Romans 3:23}?  I have a friend whose own view of God is one that requires a daily prayer of forgiveness from his sins.  In his eyes, he continues to see himself as being branded as a sinner.  I do not dispute the scriptures.  I believe that we all WERE sinners.  Notice that I used the past tense here.  So, if we were all once steeped in the sin of the world, what are we now?  It's not what we are, it's WHO we are.  The apostle Paul speaks to our new identity in Galatians.  From the Lords revelation, Paul discovered that his former nature of sin...was dead {Galatians 2:20}.  Living in him now was Jesus.  Is Paul still branded as a sinner despite having Christ in him?  No.  Now, here's where it gets crazy.  Knowing that it is Christ who lives in us, can those around us continue to see us as sinners?  Absolutely.  They know not the truth of who we are.  Knowing who we are in Christ Jesus, can we know Him continue to see ourselves by our old nature?  It's possible, if we forget who it is that we truly are.  Remember that we are no longer branded by who we were before.  Jesus has paid the price for that.  When God looks upon us, He sees only His Son.  No matter what others might say, it is Christ who lives in me.  


Now, being inquired by the Pharisees as to when the kingdom of God is coming, He answered them and said, "The kingdom of God is not coming with scrutiny.  Neither shall they be declaring 'Lo here!' or 'Lo there!' for lo! the kingdom of God is inside of you." 

Luke 17: 20-21, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: