Sunday, July 9, 2023

The Man In Me

 




With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, who loves me, and gives Himself up for me. 

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament 


For some time I have written about my realization that Christ Jesus lives in me.  This I believe in my heart.  Yet there are times where I feel as if I am on an island out there all alone.  See, this realization which I have is about as far off the grid of mainstream Christianity as one can get.  I'm pretty much off the reservation and have been for some time.  To say that Christ in me is not a common Christian mindset is definitely an understatement.  This is why I feel at times as if I walk in my faith alone.  In the past, whenever I have attempted to share what it is that I believe I am more often than not met with blank stares.  Those who feel convicted with argue that I am living a false faith.  Perhaps this is why the Apostle Paul referred to this revelation as the "secret among the nations" {Colossians 1:27}.  Paul knew better than most that his own faith in the truth of Jesus was not shared by the mainstream church of his day.  He was speaking to those whose own memories of Jesus were of the man crucified on the cross.  This Jesus was dead, yet Paul spoke as if Jesus still was alive.  Herein lies the secret.  Now, imagine the confusion when I suggest that I am not alone in this life of mine.  That's right, I'm living with a dead guy.  For we cannot profess to the belief of Christ in us without knowing that He shares in everything we do, the good and the  bad.  Imagine my own shock when a good friend informed me that Jesus does not choose when and where He will share this vessel I call a body.  No, He's in me for the long haul.  From the time I wake up in the morning until I finally go to sleep, it is Jesus who remains in me.  Imagine the surprise to the mainstream Christian when they're told that Christ remains in me even when I behave badly.  Wait, Jesus dwells in...a sinner?  This is admission is more than enough to get me laughed out of any decent church in town.  The secret among the nations.  


To whom God wills to make known what are the glorious riches of this secret among the nations, which is: Christ among you, the expectation of glory. 

Colossians 1:27, Concordant New Testament 


Despite my own faith of the indwelling Christ, I understand why many still balk at the idea.  All roads lead to what the church has been teaching and preaching believers for over two thousand years.  The message, Jesus was crucified and died on the cross, rose again and was raised into heaven where He remains now.  It's a good story, if only it were true.  See, the cross was not the end of Jesus, but the beginning.  Jesus is not sitting at the Fathers side doing nothing.  No, it is Jesus who is among each of us today.  That's right, each of us share in the indwelling Christ.  From the most devout believer to one whom nobody would dare associate with Jesus, we all share in Him.  Is this even possible?  Remember, with God everything is possible {Matthew 19:26}.  Even the most devout Christians believe that all are created in the Lords image, the good and the bad among us.  The same is true of the indwelling Jesus.  Jesus shares our lives in the good times and the bad as well.  In those moments where I am behaving not so Christ like, it is Jesus who asks me if this is who I really feel that I am.  Indeed, there has been many a time where I have forgotten who the Man in me was.  The secret of the nations.  The mainstream church will preach that I need to be closer to Jesus.  My heart tells me that Jesus is closer to me now than I once realized He was.  


So that, if anyone is in Christ, there is a new creation: the primitive passed by.  Lo! There has come new! 

2 Corinthians 5: 17, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~  

No comments: