Sunday, October 8, 2023

A Fathers Love

 




He who is not loving knew not God, for God is love. 

1 John 4: 8, Concordant New Testament 


Lately I have been surrounded by more than a few people who are well versed in both scripture and mainstream church theology.  The challenge for me has been to stand fast in what I know to be true and not again be carried off by the beliefs of the man created church system.  This was once again evidenced this week as a co worker and I discussed our Christian faith.  Now, I have no issues with talking with others about what I believe, but I usually do not get a good response.  In the eyes of many Christians, I'm on a one way road straight to hell and eternal punishment.  It would seem that my beliefs are so far out of whack with the mainstream belief system that it's a wonder indeed that God has not sent his lightning bolts down upon me.  I mean, that's what God does, right?  He oversees the world and duly punishes all who are wicked, right?  Well, if you sit in the halls of one of the houses of worship on any given Sunday, that is what you might hear preached.  It's a good story if you can sell it, and the mainstream church have become masters of selling the message.  But what if what you've been told by that church was flawed?  What if, over the years, someone has cobbled together a few select words of scripture to fit the narrative and called it the gospel?  This is indeed why the apostle John spoke to us about "Testing the spirits" to see if they are of God {1 John 4:1}.  Testing the spirits leads us to asking questions.  Testing the spirits eventually led me to decide to leave the mainstream church.  Since childhood, we've been told that God loved us enough to create us in His own image {Genesis 1:27}.  But the snake lied {Genesis 3:4-5}, and so we were cast out of the Lords garden as sinners {Genesis 3:23-24}.  So we lived until God dispatched His Son as a savior to His creation {Matthew 1:21}.  Through Christ Jesus, our sin was put to death by His own death on the cross {Romans 6:10}.  Notice that Paul speaks to Jesus perishing "once for ALL" on the cross.  Jesus proclaimed this Himself as He died on the cross and cried out, "It is finished"{John 19:30}.  Interestingly enough, the Greek translation of the final words of Christ on the cross translates to "Paid in full."  Jesus paid our sin debt, nothing else is required.  


Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see if they are of God, for many false prophets have come out into the world. 

1 John 4: 1, Concordant New Testament 


Growing up, I was constantly reminded by those in the church that I still had sin which I needed to deal with.  If I did not deal with it, I would find myself facing the Lords judgement for my actions.  I always thought there was something wrong with that line of thinking.  First, the talking heads of the mainstream church had spoon fed me their theology that Jesus died upon that cross for my sins.  My sin  debt had been paid.  But wait, what about todays sin?  Despite the words of Paul there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ, the church continues to preach sinful man {Romans 8:1}.  So, one question I found myself asking on a regular basis was, who would God hate enough to send to hell?  Who would a loving God find so repulsive that He would turn His back upon His loved creation?  When you get down to the brass tacks Christianity, this is what the church continues to preach.  If God is love, as John tells us, does it not go against His nature to take His love away from His children?  There are many stories of human parents who, despite the disobedient behaviors of their own children, still continue to express their love.  Why would God be any different?  Well, I believe that the Father is indeed different than what we have been led to believe.  It is my belief that God loves ALL of His creation and that His desire is that we would return to Him.  Jesus spoke of the father of the prodigal son who did just that {Luke 15:20}.  I've always seen the parable of the prodigal son as the perfect illustration of Gods love for us.  Despite the theology of the mainstream church, the love of the Father endures all.  


And rising, he came to his father.  "Now, at his still being far away, his father perceived him and had compassion, and running, falls on his neck and fondly kisses him."

Luke 15: 20, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: