Friday, October 20, 2023

In Prime Time

 




Look at me, what about me makes you think that I care about your opinion of me? 

Deion Sanders 


In his playing days, "Neon" Deion Sanders was never one to keep what he was thinking to himself.  Some might call him a free spirit while others called him a arrogant bully.  Whatever you thought of him one thing was certain, Deion didn't care what you thought of him.  He simply went out on the field and allowed his ability to speak for him.  He did that for fourteen years in the NFL and a further nine seasons playing major league baseball.  Sanders routinely refers to those who don't like his style as haters.  Whatever your opinion of him, Deion Sanders is going to go about life on his own terms.  So, what does  Deion Sanders have to do with me, Jesus and knowing the man I am?  Well, in my own way I have adopted one of the most important characteristics of the man known as prime time.  For anyone who does not know me, you would never know that your opinion of me is of zero consequence.  In fact, I'm often  surprised at the reaction of others when they criticize me when they do not get the reaction from me that they were expecting.  They do not get the angry retort.  They do not get the frustration.  What they do get is someone who is confident enough to know the person they are despite what they are trying to tell me.  One of my favorite verses of scripture is the apostle Paul's realization in Galatians of the man he truly is.  It is Paul who claims that it is Christ Jesus who lives, not the one the world knows as Paul {Galatians 2:20}.  You can bet that in his day, Paul knew his share of criticism for his beliefs.  Yet Paul stood his ground, knowing that it was Jesus Himself who he lived as {Romans 6:8}.  I can confidently proclaim this as well.  That's right, contrary to what some may think, Paul's words in Galatians 2:20 were not simply referring to Paul but to all of the Fathers children.  So it is that when others may try to sway your beliefs with a false narrative of who you are, it has never been true.  For we are the Fathers creation created in His very image {Genesis 1:27}.  When I look in that mirror, I see Jesus.  


Your opinion of me is not the opinion I have of myself.

Deion Sanders


I was never really a big Deion Sanders fan until his retirement.  In his playing days, he almost always ended up playing for teams I was not too fond of.  Consequently, his on field antics only seemed to verify his arrogance.  Yet there was indeed a method to the madness of the man known as Prime Time.  The swagger followed him from his college days at Florida State University to his days in the NFL.  Like him or not, there was no mistaking who he was.  All too often, too many people, Christians included, are afraid of giving their opinion for fear of what others might think of them.  Our current woke culture has only intensified this behavior.  However, I have rarely been one to shutter up how I am feeling about things.  Yes, this trait has gotten me in my share of trouble and offended a good number of people, but I have remained true to myself along the way.  I've never considered myself to have anything in common with the man prime time, but perhaps we're not so different.  I do not know the faith leanings of Deion Sanders, but in listening to him speak, I believe that he is aware of the love of the Father.  In his current job as the head coach as Colorado, he has made it abundantly clear that his main purpose while at Colorado is to be a "leader of young men."  I can stand behind that.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that young people in this world are often devoid of men and women of faith to guide them.  If one of those leaders happens to speak his mind and offend a few people along the way, well I'll still support him in what he's doing.  


With Christ have I been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, Who loves me, and gives Himself up for me. 

Galatians 2: 20, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: