Sunday, December 31, 2023

The Road Less Taken

 




Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see if they are of God, for many false prophets have come out into the world.

First Epistle Of John 4: 1, Concordant New Testament 


Herbert Paul Brooks was not what one would call a conventional man.  Known as one of the most successful coaches in American College hockey, Brooks plied his trade for more than 30 years.  However, it with the 1980 United States Olympic hockey squad where Brooks made his mark.  Coming off of back to back national championships with the University of Minnesota, he was the obvious choice to lead Americas young talent against the rest of the world.  Yet Herb didn't follow the conventional wisdom of American hockey.  He went against the grain of the traditional American rough style of play, opting instead for the slick style played by most European clubs of the time.  Brooks stressed puck movement and passing in an era where body checks and fighting was the norm in American hockey.  As a result, he led his team of college players against the best of the world and won.  A lot has been made of the achievements of the 1980 United States hockey team, but it all began with a man who realized something different.  It's no secret that many people are afraid to tackle the road less traveled, knowing that doing so could lead to mistakes and embarrassment.  How many times have you not followed your heart because you were afraid of the outcome?  Some time ago, a dear friend of mine shared with me the reservations He had while serving in the halls of the mainstream church.  His duties included the preparation of the Sunday message as well as leading classes which spoke to the church doctrine.  But there was something missing.  He began to feel the pull on his heart of desiring to know Christ Jesus more than he did.  He desired a relationship with Him.  The problem came about with the surroundings he faced daily in the church.  He was surrounded by an environment which spoke to the church narrative of a Jesus who was separated from Gods children.  This went against what he was beginning to feel in his own heart.  Eventually, the time came where my friend decided to take that road less traveled and follow his desire to know more of Jesus.  I for one am glad that he did.  


Fear is not in love, but perfect love is casting out fear, for fear has chastening.  Now he who is fearing is not perfected in love. 

First Epistle Of John 4: 18, Concordant New Testament 


Those who have read my pages on occasion will realize that I adhere to a knowing of Christ Jesus in me.  This knowing is not something which came to me of my own doing, but through the revelation of the Father through the words of my friend.  Indeed, my early knowledge of Christ Jesus reflected what I had learned in the halls of the mainstream church.  God was a domineering Lord who strictly watched over His creation in order to punish sinners.  Of course, we were all sinners {Paul To The Romans 3:23}.  Yet, what many well meaning Christians fail to realize is that when the apostle Paul spoke these words, he was referencing our FORMER condition.  Yes, I WAS a sinner, but through Christ Jesus I am a sinner no longer.  For it was Christ who gave Himself once for the sin of all {Paul To The Romans 6:10, To The Hebrews 10:10}.  As my friend began his journey on the road less taken, I was still living in my own past.  However, one day on a hike with my friend, he spoke to me the words which I had been waiting to hear.  The words that Jesus IS alive!  Not only that, but that I remain in Him {Paul To The Galatians 2:20}.  Of course, it took me some time for this revelation of the Father to find solid roots in me, but once it did my life changed.  The sane revelation which my friend felt in his heart is the same revelation which he spoke of to me that day.  By taking that road less taken, he is free to speak of the Fathers revelation of Christ Jesus to those the Father presents to him.  Amen!  


By which will we are hallowed through the approach present of the body of Jesus Christ once for all time.

To The Hebrews 10: 10, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: