Sunday, August 23, 2015

Freedom?

"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.  For in him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily, and you are complete in him, who is head of all principality and power"
Colossions 2: 8-10

Sunday mornings used to be pretty rushed for me.  There was church, mens groups, fellowship and all of the activities that Sunday church worship brings.  However, lately I've put alot less effort into attending church on a regular basis.  I know that I'll more than likely get some diagreement from those who feel that "good" christians should adhere to the weekly gathering of believers.  Things happened in my life over the past few years, and church attendance became less important.  Am I still a christian?  Yes!  Do I still follow Jesus and strive to have a relationship with him?  Absolutely.  I just feel that I can have a relationship with Jesus without being commited to following a weekly tradition.  Tradition you say?  Well, besides Hebrews 10:25, my search has not revealed where Gods word REQUIRES us to attend a certain church or a weekly worship service.

"Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, exhorting one another, and so much more as you see the day approaching"
Hebrews 2:10  NKJV

Notice that verse..."As is the manner of some"  Clearly, the Apostle Paul was encouraging believers to gather together in fellowship.  However, fellowship and mandatory attendance are worlds apart.  Does God require that we attend a certain church or church group?  I haven't seen any evidence of that.  However, I've come across many churches who will use guilt in order to keep people coming in the door.  THAT is not from God.  Does Hebrews 10 tell us to gather together?  Absolutely but, again, gathering together and guilting someone into church attendance are two completely different scenarios.  As I've mentioned, I've spent alot of time this summer hiking and in fellowship with my goood friend pastor Dennis.  Each time we get together is another good conversation on our relationship with Christ.  I've learned alot from Dennis, more than I have in all the churches I've been in.  I am not missing out on fellowship nor am I forsaking my worship of God, we do it all.  Now, one good reason for church attendance, as my good and wise friend David has brought up to me, is to fellowship with even more people.  You see, being isolated is never a good thing.  This is something I'm working on improving.  So, from where I stand, church attendance is not a mandatory requirement sent forth from God.  If I fail to attend Sunday worship, God will not withhold his love from me.  I don't believe that, as he died on that cross, Jesus' first thought was "Father, I hope they attend church!"  I will go so far as to say that church attendance is a tradition of man.  Yes, I'll catch some grief for that I'm sure.  Along with other man made traditions (Tithing as the modern church sees it, communion) I think we've missed the mark on a few things.  By not being guilted into attending a certain service, but worshiping God and drawing near to him exactly where I am, I feel a sense of freedom.  Not tied down to a man made tradition that seeks to put me to shame if I don't adhere to it.  Now, I understand that for a variety of reasons churches today need to keep a steady flow of people coming through the doors on Sunday mornings, but that's another discussion AND another future post :)  For now, I'll enjoy the freedom I have in knowing that I serve a loving and merciful God who will never put me to shame for not gathering in a certain building :)

~Scott~

No comments: