Saturday, August 15, 2015

Those Pesky Minions

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour."
1 Peter 5:8 NKJV

Pastor Dennis recently related a story to me of a man living under the power of a tyranical Lord.  One day, another more powerful Lord came and he destroyed the wicked ruler the man was living under.  However, even after the wicked ruler was overthrown, he would send his minions into the castle of the new Lord and continue to tell its residents "Look, you may THINK you're under a new ruler but you're not!"  It didn't take me long to see the meaning of what Dennis was trying to get across.  Even though Satan has been defeated, he still directs his efforts against those who oppose him, namely those who are in Christ.  Just like the evil Lord who was overthrown, Satans final destiny has been sealed long ago

"So the great dragon was cast out, the serpent of old, called the devil and Satan, who DECEIVES the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him."

Looking back on Dennis' story, I came to another realization of the meaning.

"And war broke out in heaven: Micheal and his angels fought with the dragon; and the dragon and his angels fought, but they DID NOT prevail, nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer."
Revelation 12: 7-8 NKJV

See, the evil lord of the castle (Satan) fought against and was overthrown by the good Lord (God)  Another key part of this scripture comes in verse 8..."nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer."   So, knowing this, if we are indeed in Christ, then satan and his angels (minions) have no place in our final destination, God has expelled them!  However, the battle is not over...

"For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places."
Ephesians 6:12 NKJV

Knowing his final fate and resting place, satan and his angels will continue to war against God and his elect.  As my good friend Chuck has related to me on many occasions..."When satan reminds you of your past, remind him of his future!"  For me, the "past" satan reminds me of are my past failures and fears.  This summer Dennis and I have enjoyed many a hiking trip with fellowship and good discussion on our lord Christ.  Now, my fear of heights has come roaring back on MANY of these occasions, the "minions" have continued to whispered in my ear "You're going to fall off the edge of that trail and die!"  I can honestly say I'm getting better at dealing with these messages, with a little help from Dennis and his wisdom and teaching.  Not that it's happened, but if something DID happen to me, would I need to worry about my final destination?  Jesus Christ is in me, so I'm assured of a place in heaven by his side!

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the LIFE which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

Yes, the messages from Satan and his minions will continue to be directed my way, that will not change.  However, one thing that also WILL NEVER change is my fellowship and inheritance I share with Christ Jesus.  By knowing that we now live in Christ, we can fight the messages from satan and his minions, because with Christ we have overcome this world!

No comments: