Saturday, August 12, 2017

At The Cross



1“Judge not, that you be not judged. 2“For with what judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you. 3“And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye? 4“Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? 5“Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.
Matthew 7: 1 - 5 NKJV

I read with some interest this week of the plight of a certain National Football League player who has been under the scrutiny of the league ever since a few youthful indescretions came to light over the past year.  Now, the young man has yet to even be charged with a crime, but it seems that the NFL now has a low tolerance for domestic violence offenses, as well as drug offenses.  In fact, pretty much anything which could cause the NFL to lose face or be painted in a bad light by millions of football fans could lead to any star player being thrown under the bus by the league.  It seems that far too many of us are all too ready to be quick to condemn one who has fallen.  Yes, I admit that I've engaged in this blame game before as well.  How easy it is to see that speck in the eye of another but yet being blind to that plank in our own eye {Matthew 7:3}.  Dare I say that it is that sad plight of others around us which daily captures our attention and conversations.  Would I be as willing to shine that spotlight of shame upon myself as I do unto others?  Probably not.  Indeed, make mention of my past indiscretions and my very first reaction will be one of self defense.  At times I wish that I had this same reaction when someone else is condemned by that bony finger of blame.  For this is what Christ Jesus desires for me.  Forgiveness and compassion is what He gave me at the cross.  Why then would we deny that same love which Christ Jesus gave us to others?   We are indeed reminded by Christ that we are to love one another {John 13: 34 -35}.  Some have refered to this as the greatest comand unto us by Jesus.  However, I'll claim that to love one another is one of the hallmarks of our faith.

17Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 19We love Him because He first loved us. 20If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?
1 John 4: 17 - 20 NKJV

One of my coworkers has a saying when others step out of line.  When someone messes up or acts like a fool he'll shake his head and mutter "people are gonna be people, man."  I agree.  Take a long look at the path which Jesus took to the cross.  Along the way He encountered many who would condemn Him not only for His words but for what He did to others.  But what is it that Jesus did?  Well, He fed the hungry, he healed the sick and He showed love to those who desperately needed someone to love them.  Today we would call such a person compassionate.  However, Jesus Himself was hailed as a blasphemer and heretic by those who saw Him as a threat to their status quo.  How many times did Jesus shake His own head and mumble to Himself "people will be people, man?"  If He did, we don't see it written.  However, we do see Him weeping for those in the Jerusalem of His day {Luke 19:41}.  Perhaps He did this because many did not see Him for who He truly was.  Indeed, Christ came not to condemn...but to save {John 3: 16-17}.
 I spent some time this week thinking of just how Jesus would have handled such a man who others condemned for the indiscretions of his youth.  I didn't need to look all that far.  How did Christ deal with me when the weight of my wrong choices caught up with me?  How did He treat the woman He encountered at that well who was caught in infidelity?  What condemnation was there for that thief on the cross next to Jesus?  In all He did, Jesus showed the very heart God has for His children.  As the very image of our invisible God, it is Jesus who became sin on our behalf at the cross that we would no longer face the finger on condemnation.  Our sin no longer defines us.

34“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35“By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
John 13: 34 - 35 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: