Saturday, August 26, 2017

The Call



20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who jwill believe in Me through their word;21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.
John 17: 20 - 24 NKJV

There was a question floated among our group this week which asked just how much we need the bible.  Going one step further, the question was posed if the bible itself could indeed be an obstacle to our own spiritual growth.  I admit that I immeditely began thinking that this was pretty close to heretical thinking.  I mean, where would we be without the pages of the bible to guide us?  Is the bible truly meant to be our life guide?  Can we really ignore Gods written word?  Is the bible truly Gods word?  Yes, this is all pretty heavy stuff for most well meaning christians such as myself to tackle.  Still the questions remain.  How did the patriarchs and matriarchs of old come to know our Father in heaven?  I've been told that none of the authors of the bible nor Jesus Himself had the scriptures as we have i today.  Still, it is commonly accepted that these men of faith were the very ones who gave us the bible as we know it.  So, how is it that these men came to know about God and, ultimately, Christ Jesus?  What was it that was ultimately revealed to these men and women of old which ultimately led them closer to God?  Mary and Joseph didn't have the bible as we know it today, yet they trusted in a unseen God without hesitation.  How is it that Adam, Abraham and Moses came to know their Lord?  Indeed, these questions may very well cut to the quick of what many of our long held beliefs are.  I believe in God, yet I've never seen Him in the flesh.  Likewise, I have entrusted my life to Christ without ever meeting Him.  Is this blind faith, or simply our Lords revelation of His presence in our lives?  It may be both...or neither one.  Suffice to say, if we today lacked the very scriptures which we have come to rely on, how is it that we would come to know God?

17Love has been perfected among us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as He is, so are we in this world. 18There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 19We love cHim because He first loved us. 20If someone says, “I love God,” and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen? 21And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also.
1 John 4: 17 - 21 NKJV

I remember struggling with the question of just how/when it was that I came to know Christ Jesus.  Thinking back, I can't recall a specific time where this transformation occured.  Yet we continue to ask those christians among us that very same question.  When were you saved?  What were you doing?  Did God speak to you?  Does it make me any more or less of a believer if I can't recall the answer to these questions?  I'm thinking no.  Take Galations 2:20 for instance.  What was Pauls inspiration to reveal such a bold statement?  To our knowledge, Saul never even met Jesus.  However, as a persecutor of the early church I'm sure that he knew OF Jesus.  However, this is a far cry from that oneness with Christ which Paul himself speaks to in Galations.  So let us look at the thought of oneness with Christ.  It is oneness with Himself to which Jesus prays in the garden in John 17.  This was Jesus' own intimate prayer for us.  The desire of Christ was not that we would simply know of Him, but that we would be "One" with Him as He and the Father are one.  Better than a simple relationship with Christ, we today who know Jesus live AS HE who is in us.  For my money, this is better and more intimate than any relationship we could ever have.  Deeper, stronger and more intimate.  Now, if I might throw a monkey wrench into this train of thought...what scripture was it that catipulted us into this oneness with Christ Jesus?  What scripture was it that brought us into oneness with our heavenly Father?  For myself, I can't think of one specific scripture which led me into that oneness with Jesus we see in Galations 2:20.  What I do recall is the realization I arrived at that I was indeed one with Christ Jesus.

15But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, 16to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, 17nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
Galations 1: 15 - 17 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: