Friday, August 18, 2017

Who I Am



13“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. 14“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15“Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5: 13 - 16 NKJV

I came across a definition in my reading this week.  The term which I was looking into is the term "Christlikeness."  Now, christlikeness, as far as I can tell, is defined as a believer being conformed to the likeness of Christ Jesus.  In other words, we are to be...more like Jesus in our daily walk through this world.  In fact, being more like Christ is all too often preached from those pulpits of our local churches.  We are all too often left with the feeling that we are simply chasing a dream.  Can we, as the pastor claims, be more like Christ in all that we do?  Or, do we simply give lip service to the very idea that being more like our Lord and savior is something we as humans can achieve?  While I was thinking of this I also entertained the thought of what Christ thought of the idea of Christlikeness.  I mean, if we're going to be more like Jesus wouldn't we want to know just what Jesus thought of this?  In Matthew 5, Jesus tells those who were listening to "Let your light shine before men."  So, if I am truly doing my best to achieve christlikeness in my life, will those around me notice my efforts?  I believe so.  As Christ proclaimed us the "light of the world," so we must exhibit this to those around us.  But what is it that we are exhibiting to others?  Well, I believe that it is Jesus Himself who others will see in and through us.  This is who we truly are.  Notice what Jesus proclaims after he tells us to let our light shine before men.  For when we do this, "they will see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."  When we exhibit christlikeness, we are exhibiting Christ Jesus who is already in us.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2: 20 NKJV

I titled this post "Who I am" for a very good reason.  When I started to write about the meaning of christlikeness, I pretty much thought of it as just another institutional church catch phrase.  A wild goose chase in which we as believers could never finish.  However, from what I've come to know about Christ, I know that this is simply not true.  As believers, we are not simply engaged in a race to merely resemble our risen Lord.  No, as believers we can rejoice in the reality that Christ lives through us today.  Far from simply being like Jesus, we ARE Jesus.  I like to think of it as that we are resembling He who is already in us.  The Light of Christ who is in us is what He desires others to see.  Now, I have run across enough people to notice that believers come from all walks of life.  Will we indeed notice that follower of Jesus among us?  Well, we may certainly notice them from the good works they exhibit.  However, I've also seen my share of believers whose behavior was questionable.  There have been more than enough times where my own behavior has been questionable.  Does this change who it is that we really are?  No, all this proves is that there are many believers out there who just don't know who they truly are.  You may very well have the Spirit of Christ in you and not be aware of it.  How is it that one can exhibit something he doesn't even know exists?  Therefore, if I know that I am Christ Jesus, then His light will be evident within me.  This is who I am.

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who jwill believe in Me through their word; 21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.
John 17: 20 - 24 NKJV


~Scott~

No comments: