Friday, August 4, 2017

Knowing Jesus



20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.  25“O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26“And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”
John 17: 20 - 26 NKJV

I have always said that I have met many people over the years.  However, I have truly KNOWN very few of these.  There is indeed a difference between being aquainted with someone and truly knowing them.  I have a small circle of friends whom I have known for some time.  Of course, we have all taken the time to come to know one another as well.  If you think about it, what kind of relationship do you have with someone whom you just meet casually on the street?  With someone you pass in the hall at work?  How often do we take that chance to turn a casual aquaintance into a meaningful friendship?  I'm guessing not as often as we should.  I know for myself this has been a rare occurance lately.  Although I've made great strides to meet and greet any and all of those with whom I come into contact with, I've still fallen short of developing friendships from those I meet.  See, it's much easier to smile and wave to someone than it is to put ourselves out there for others to see.  To open ourselves up in fear of  that chance that someone who we allow in will hurt us in some way.  So it is that most of us keep those we meet at a safe distance and under our watchful eye.  We can't, NO, we won't, allow someone we meet to inflict pain on us.  And so we build walls around us that Donald Trump would be proud of.  And if not walls...then fortresses with walls so tall that nobody will ever breach them.  We've become protected, isolated and withdrawn from friendships and relationships.  So, how is it that we really know anyone?

15He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16Simon Peter answered and said, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17Jesus answered and said to him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18“And I also say to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build My church, and the gates of Hades shall not prevail against it.
Matthew 16: 15 - 18 NKJV

I heard  a radio preacher ask recently "how well do you really know God?"  Of course, at the end of the broadcast I wound up asking myself that very same question.  How well do I know the man Christ Jesus?  Oh, I've heard story upon story of Him and the miracles that He did in His time on earth, but do I really know Him?  I would venture to say that anyone who has heard of Jesus but not known Him is quite like the man who waves to that stranger on the street without introducing himself.  You've heard of Him but have never known Him.  I feel that this is one of the least taught realities of the modern church...our relationship with Jesus.  Do you believe that you are to love the Lord your God with all of your heart as scripture tells us?  If so, how is it that you can love someone with whom you have no relationship whatsoever?  Could you love another without knowing them?  Probably not, which is why we spend so much time getting to know those around us who we like.  First we get to know someone, then the relationship follows.  Why would it be any different with Jesus?  For if we truly want to know Him, then we must see Him as more than just a story in the pages of the bible that we turn to in times of need.  More than a story, the Jesus who waits with open arms for us to come to know Him is as real today as anyone we may meet passing by {Galations 2:20}.  He is the Christ, the Son of the living God, and His desire is for a relationship with Gods children.

~Scott~

No comments: