Sunday, October 29, 2017

An All Too Familiar Ending



11When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. 13And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13: 11 - 13 NKJV

I like a good movie.  I especially like a good movie where I'm kept on the edge of my seat between the plot and the action.  One of the reasons that I am a huge fan of the Star Wars films is that everything I enjoy in a good movie is provided.  Sure, everyone knows that in the end the good guys will somehow squeak by the clutches of the empire and escape, but we enjoy how the film develops its plot.  Lately there has been a slew of christian, family oriented films coming out of Hollywood.  This seems strange, of course, as traditionally Hollywood has shunned anything having to do with telling the truth about christianity.  A few recent examples include Noah and Exodus: Gods and kings.  Although loosely based on the biblical stories they represented, Hollywood once again managed to bastardize a well known bible story.  Far from being a oversight, I feel that films such as this are by design, meant to cloud the nations view of scripture.  All of that seemed to change with Mel Gibsons 2004 film The Passion Of The Christ.  For once, I watched a christian movie which was not watered down with the crazy subplots of Hollywood.  We saw the scourging, mocking and crucifiction of Christ Jesus.  I think that why so many were touched by this film is because of the violent nature of which Jesus was treated by His accusers.  Of course, I believe that Gibsons film showed only part of that horror which Christ endured for us.  Up until that point, this had only been a story on a few pages, not brought before my eyes in such a revealing way.  However, if the story of Jesus was going to be told, then this part of His life needed to be told as well.  Indeed, Gibson received much criticism from the Hollywood elites who somehow felt that we would not fall for such christianity being shoved at us.  They were wrong.

2Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.
2 Timothy 4: 2 - 5 NKJV

I thought of all of this the other day when I asked Dennis if he would consider viewing the upcoming christian film "Let there be light."  His response surprised me at first until I realized where he was coming from.  Predictable plot...he's right.  For as we have seen in more than a few recent releases, the main character struggles with a lack of faith, knowledge or religion but then in the end he comes to his senses and is saved.  I get it.  However, what make sfor a good Hollywood movie may not make for a good teaching for the mature christian.  As the apostle Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 13, when he was young he indeed spoke, understood and thought as a child.  However, when he became a man...he put away childish things {1 Corinthians 13: 11-13}.  So, what are those "childish things" which we, as Paul, will put away as we grow in our faith and knowledge of Christ?  Well, one thing that our group discussed in the recent past were the levels of christian understanding.  It seems that our understanding is different when we first feel Christs pull on our hearts.  Indeed, many a sermon is devoted to "spoon feeding" the gospel to new christians.  However, as we grow in our faith and understanding, it is these childish things which we leave behind as we mature.  I believe that this is what Paul was refering to in 1 Corinthians.  He had matured in his knowledge of Christ and did away with other childish things.  So what does this have to do with a Hollywood movie?  While I am glad that there are more family oriented christian films coming out, I believe that there are a few of us who have matured in their faith that may find films such as these to be like old hat.  They've seen it, and read it, before.  They've sat through many a Sunday sermon on the very subject.  They know the outcome.  For the new christian, films such as this may shed some light on their new found faith.  For others...the ending is all too familiar.

~Scott~

No comments: