Saturday, October 21, 2017

Those Left Behind



25“But Abraham said, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted and you are tormented. 26‘And besides all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed, so that those who want to pass from here to you cannot, nor can those from there pass to us.’ 27“Then he said, ‘I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father’s house, 28‘for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.’ 29“Abraham said to him, ‘They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ 30“And he said, ‘No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.’ 31“But he said to him, ‘If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.’ ”
Luke 16: 25 - 31 NKJV

I was asked a question this past week about how I would be remembered after I'm gone.  Now, the person who asked me this is someone with a good deal of possesions to his credit.  He has his house, his four fancy cars as well as other things.  One thing he often points out to me is that I save too much of my money.  "You only get one ride Scotty...enjoy it while you can!"  Seriously, this guy should be the poster child for the "Sieze the day" Carpe Deum movement.  Now, I agree that we should take some enjoyment from this life of ours, but I also believe that we should be aware of tommorow as well.  Maybe I'm too frugal in my finances.  But what is it that will be our legacy?  How is it that we will be remembered by those we leave behind?  Will people say of me, "that Scott, he sure had a lot of things."  Or will they be reminded of who I truly was?  Will it be said of me on that day, "Scott really had a heart for Jesus?"  How is it that we will choose to be remembered?  I know of a rich man who had everything he ever wanted in life...yet he would spend his eternity in that place of torment.  Likewise, I know a man who had to beg and borrow that which he needed in his own life...only to spend his eternity in comfort.  Does this seem like a polar opposite of what we see today?  Obviously, from my conversation this week.  I believe the story of the rich man and Lazarus we find in Luke 16 is an attempt by Jesus to illustrate to those who were listening just what it is that is important in our life.  To be honest, although I would like to have more than I do, this is not how I want to be remembered by those around me.  No, I would like to be remembered as someone who lived for those around him and not for what he had.  How would a new car lead someone to Christ?  How would a expensive house spread the truth of Jesus?  See, all of these material things are but temporary.  For without Christ living through me, His words may never be known to others {Galations 2:20}.  Without Christ Jesus being that image of our invisible God which He is, the heart of our heavenly Father may never be known.  Our own possesions will not speak to the truth of Christ in us.  Only we ourselves will do that.

16Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: “The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. 17“And he thought within himself, saying, ‘What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?’ 18“So he said, ‘I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 19‘And I will say to my soul, “Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.” ’ 20“But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’ 21“So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.”
Luke 12: 16 - 21 NKJV

It was Martin Luther King Junior who proclaimed that ALL men should be judged not by the color of their skin...but by the content of their character.  Therefore, do not judge me by what is seen by all...but by who I am inside!  I am not Scott the owner of all that he has.  No, I am Scott, the very image of Christ Jesus whose image he shares.  There is no doubt that we bring nothing into this world,and we take nothing with us when we leave.  However, that which we shall always keep with us is the Spirit of Christ Jesus who lives through us.  Metal shall rust and fabrics shall fade, but the Spirit of Jesus will endure forever!  Now, tell me again how important these earthly possesions are to you christian.  Where will they be when God calls you home?  I feel that we shall long be remembered for the words of Jesus which we speak among others than for all which we own.  In the end, are we trusting our heavenly Father to provide for us that which He desires...or are we taking it upon ourselves to circumvent His provision?  One of the follys of the independent self is thinking that we ourselves know what is best and then proceed to go out and get it.  I want to be content in knowing that when my soul is required of me...that my eternity will be with He who is in me.

13“You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. 14“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15“Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5: 13 - 16 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: