Thursday, October 5, 2017

An Uncaring God



 8“For My thoughts are not your thoughts, Nor are your ways My ways,” says the LORD. 9“For as the heavens are higher than the earth, So are My ways higher than your ways, And My thoughts than your thoughts.
Isaiah 55: 8-9 NKJV

In the wake of a of our recent tragdies I've once again heard the all too recited chorus of just how a loving God could ever allow such suffering on His own children.  I've even overheard a few pastors speaking in anger towards the Lord they serve.  I get it.  In the midst of our own pain and sorrow we are all too often blinded by our own emotions.  However, I feel that it is important to mention that it is the God who created us in His holy image who has bestowed these very emotions upon His creation.  Our own emotions are part of what make us who we are.  Indeed, to be without them and those around us would notice that something was seriously wrong with us.  Therefore, I cannot blame one pastor or another for expressing what the Lord has created in him.  There have been plenty of times where my own emotions have caused me to question my Lords motives in my life.  However, I feel that where we go wrong is that we all too often ask the wrong question when those events in our lives stir up our emotions.  The prophet Isaiah reveals to us that our Lords thoughts and ways are far above our own {Isaiah 55:9}.  So, knowing this, why is it that we would so often question our Lords working in our lives?  Does He not know what is best for His children?  Indeed he does.  The issue is not that God has changed, but that we have.  We've changed in the way that we often see God.  We've changed in the way we often go about our lives.  Now, I can't speak for everyone obviously, but there has been many a time where I have simply said to God "I got this" and went about things the way I felt I should.  Was I following my Lords will for my life?  Probably not.  However, what I was doing was seeing myself as a independent soul who was in charge of my life and my environment...CARPE DEUM!

7And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. 8Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. 9And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me. 10Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ’s sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12: 7 - 10 NKJV

I've written a few times before of the folly of that independent self.  Of the mistake we make when we believe in our own heart that we are the ones who are in charge of the world around us.  This is the same lie satan layed out for Eve at the fall {Genesis 3: 4-5}.  Indeed, satan promised Eve that were she to eat of that forbidden fruit that she would "be like God."  Be like God?  What could be better than that, right?  I mean, if we were like God then we'd have no need to go to Him in our time of need right?  If we were like God then we could truly be free, right?  Wrong.  Which is why the deceiver continues to spread his lie today.  There is no better way that I can lay out a rebuttal of the independent self than to say that we did...not...create...anything.  In fact, all that we are and all that we see around us has been provided for us by our heavenly Father.  Yes, including that pain we all too often experience.  So, what does this all have to do with how we see those tragedies which will occur around us.  Well, we can start by asking "what are you doing through this situation Lord?"  That simple question cuts through the folly of our independent self and puts the focus exactly where it belongs...on God.  All too often when our emotions react to our pain we will cry out "WHY GOD?"  Instead, we should be asking He who has given us life and all which we have just what He is showing us through the midst of our toughest times.

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. 25“O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26“And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”
John 17: 20 - 26 NKJV

~Scott~

1 comment:

Dennis Deardorff said...

Are emotions of anger or bitterness from God? And the deception was in challenging the fact that they were already like God. Satan cleverly planted the doubt that they were like God by posing the idea that they could be. Thus the inception of separation from God.