Friday, October 27, 2017

The Jesus Test



 15But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother’s womb and called me through His grace, 16to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, 17nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
Galations 1: 15 - 17 NKJV

The question came up this week of just how we will ultimately know if one is ready to hear the words of the truth of Christ Jesus in us.  Personally, I really don't feel that we should attach a litmus test to someone before we testify of the truth of Jesus to those around us.  If this were the case, I might never have heard these words.  Is it really up to us who have known Him to decide who we shall pass along His truth to?  Who was it that ultimately revealed the truth of Christ in the apostle Paul?  Indeed, when it pleased our heavenly Father, He revealed Christ Jesus in him.  Are we now taking God out of the picture and claiming that when it pleases us...we in turn will tell others of Jesus?  Forgive me for ruffling any feathers out there, but I find this line of thinking just a bit conceited.  As God revealed the truth of Christ to Paul, so He will to those around us as well.  Think of where we ourselves would be if someone had used that same approach with us?  I might still be searching for the truth of Christ in me.  I feel that we who have known Him have been called to spread His truth far and wide.  Is this not part of the great commision of Jesus when He called on His disciples to go and make "followers" of all the nations? {Matthew 28: 16-20}.  Well, Jesus spoke of making "disciples" of all the nations...but this word translates into the word follower and it  makes sense in that context.  For who were these disciples of Christ Jesus if not followers of Him?  We today who know Christ are also followers of Him.  Why?  Because someone took the time to show us the truth of Christ Jesus.  Again I ask, where would we be in our own lives had that person who revealed Christ to us had chosen not to do so for fear that we were "not ready?"  As the institutional church does to this day, we have gotten into having those around us prove that they are worth hearing about Jesus.  My friends, as Gods children, we are ALL worthy of the truth of Jesus!  For it is Christ Jesus who Himself came to restore that which we once lost at the fall...our relationship with Him.

16Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had appointed for them. 17When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some doubted. 18And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20“teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen.
Matthew 28: 16 - 20 NKJV

This week I once again heard another story of another christian who had grown weary of the trappings of the institutional church.  I have heard more than my share of these life stories, even from those whom I once knew in the church.  Needless to say, all too many of them sound all too familiar to my own story.  For I too had grown tired of the pomp, celebration and tradtitions of the church.  I was looking for something more.  Something inside me told me that there was more to knowing Jesus than a Sunday celebration and dropping a few bucks into a collection plate every week.  Something told me that there was more to Jesus than some pulpit pounder telling me each and every week that I needed to be "more like Him."  Something told me that the love and heart of Jesus was not to be found in a building, small group or Sunday sermon.  I was hungry for more of Him.  I was blessed that a dear friend took it upon himself to tell me of the truth of Christ in me.  But wait, what if he hadn't taken the time to reveal this side of Jesus to me?  I would still be out there looking, searching and wondering if this was all there was to a life of following Christ.  How many others like me are out there in the world?  Obviously, from the stories I keep hearing, there are many followers who still do not know the truth of Christ in them.  It is these who we need to be sharing the truth of Jesus with.  We are not called by Jesus to be selective of those who we share Him with.  Jesus did not call upon us to go and make followers of those we feel are worthy of Him.  No, He called on His followers to go and make followers of all the nations of the earth.  His truth is one we cannot hide.

15But the Lord said to him, “Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. 16“For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name’s sake.”17And Ananias went his way and entered the house; and laying his hands on him he said, “Brother Saul, the Lord Jesus, who appeared to you on the road as you came, has sent me that you may receive your sight and be filled with the Holy Spirit.”
Acts 9: 15 - 17 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: