Sunday, February 2, 2020

Battle Scars

With many thanks to Frank Trenkler (United States Army - retired)
Thank you for sharing a part of you my friend!

Only the dead have seen the end of war.
~Plato~

In 2009, Frank Trenkler was serving with the U.S, Army in Talil, Iraq.  On this particular morning, he and his unit pulled convoy security duty for vehicles in the area.  Soon, children from the area converged on his vehicle, eagerly looking for treats from the soldiers.  Although the local children knew not to climb onto the U.S. vehicles, one young boy suddenly climbed onto Franks truck.  Looking at the army soldier, he apologized.  Frank heard the magnet attach to his truck and instantly reacted.  The moments that followed he remembers to this day.  Raising his weapon, Frank fired at the boy while retreating into his vehicle.  The explosion wasn't strong enough to damage Franks vehicle, but he still came away with battle scars of his own.
Although I've never seen combat, I can honestly say that I too carry my share of scars.  Each of us, when we've lived long enough, will accumulate our own share scars, wounds and memories that, hard as we try, we cannot forget.  While my mother passed away over two years ago, I still carry with me those memories of her final days.  So many people, struggling with scars of their own, have come up with many ways to silence the voices of accusation inside of them.  We lose ourselves in retreats, self help programs and addictions all the while hoping that our scars will heal.  In reality, we were never meant to live this way.  For those of us with any knowledge of God, we know all too well the stories of our accuser.  That one who roams the earth while seeking whom to devour {1 Peter 5:8}.  Indeed, those voices inside of us which we fight so hard to silence are those of the accuser.  He who will stop at nothing to topple our Lords children.  He who set his own lie in motion in the garden.  He who cast doubt into Adam and Eve..."did God really say?"  Yes, many of us know all too well the ploys of the accuser.  However, what about those of us who have never known the Father and continue to struggle with their own battle scars?  Well, the accuser will never discriminate between the saved and unsaved as he wreaks his havoc among Gods creation.  People have referred to them as demons and ghosts, but even the demons know the name of Christ Jesus {James 2:19}.  Yes, those same demons that torment us tremble in fear at the very mention of the name Jesus!  I believe that this truth will be liberating to someone who is struggling with their own demons.  I remember losing myself in addiction to mask my own pain of rejection and low self worth.  To me, living this false narrative was better than facing the truth of who I believed I was.  Well, it turns out that the man I thought I was...was just another lie of the accuser.

And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore, I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christs sake.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12: 9 - 10 NKJV

The words of the apostle Paul should be a rallying cry for all who believe.  The strength of Christ Jesus is made perfect in our weaknesses.  When we are weak, battered and scarred...it is Jesus who is strong within us.   My own search of who I really was also led me to knowing who Jesus truly is.  For Paul also tells us in Galatians that it is Christ Jesus, not me, who lives {Galatians 2:20}.  Indeed, my old nature was nailed to the cross with Him so long ago.  What remains...is Christ.  Knowing this, can we really honestly claim that our accuser can reside within us?  Can Satan and Jesus coexist side by side?  I would say no.  So, what do we say to those who fight the demons they believe to be inside them?  Simple, is that who you really are?  Remember, I too fought that fight of self worth.  I was there in the trenches while my accuser tossed every grenade of self accusation and doubt my way.  There were times I gave in to his lies, choosing to believe what he claimed to be true.  Did that change who I really was in Christ?  NO!  All that proved was that I was able to believe a lie.  Jesus will never come to us with a voice of condemnation {Romans 8:1}.   Instead, it is Christ who will relate to us who we truly are in Him.  It is through our own hurts and scars that Jesus will often reveal Himself to us.  In our moments of deepest need, He walks ahead of us.  Our scars carry with them painful memories.  Our accuser will take every opportunity to drive a wedge between God and His children.  However, one thing the accuser will never offer us...is love.  We do well to remember that Christ...is love {1 John 4:8}.

~Scott~


No comments: