Friday, February 28, 2020

Jesus At The Ball Game



"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.  For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved."
John 3: 16 - 17 NKJV

If you've ever been to a professional sports or college game you may have well been exposed to what I call "The salvation verse."  Indeed, people across the world have taken to displaying this verse in hopes that some wayward television camera would catch a glimpse.  I'm talking about John 3:16 and how it has been used over the years as a guide to others to the Christian life.  I saw it once again the other night during a hockey game.  As the camera panned away from two grown men beating the snot out of each other, there it was for all to see.  The trouble with the salvation verse is that it in a way contradicts the traditional Christian teachings on salvation.  See, most teachings on salvation tell us that Jesus died for the forgiveness of our sins then rose once again.  However, that's not the end of the story it seems.  For even with the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross, we are still told that we must continue to seek our Lords forgiveness.  There is a reason that as He died upon the cross Jesus proclaimed "IT IS FINISHED!" {John 19:30}.  Jesus knew that nothing more need be done, His job was done.  I am of the belief that once a person recognizes and confesses Jesus in their hearts that they are saved.  This isn't a race of who sins the least or who prays the most.  Once we start seeing our salvation in those terms then we are of the mind that it is our own efforts that got us there.  The apostle Paul was dead set against this claiming that salvation is the "gift of God and not of ourselves" {Ephesians 2:8}.  In my heart I know that there is NOTHING I have done apart from placing my faith in Christ, which would guarantee my own salvation.  Now, I've had a few discussions with my dear friend who, despite my best efforts, continues to remain nameless about what we would consider "efforts" to gain salvation.  Is simply believing in Jesus a physical effort on our part?  would it fly in the face of Paul's spoken words on salvation?  Well, I don't believe that simply acknowledging the deity of Christ in our own hearts counts as physical effort to gain salvation.  All we are doing is agreeing with the truth as we know it.  Again, whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life.

Not by the works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, who He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Titus 3: 5 - 7 NKJV

What is left out by most people in their desire to show the world the truth of John 3:16 is the very next verse.  I believe that we cannot read verse 16 without also understanding the 17th verse.  They go hand in hand.  While cherry picking scriptures might work for some, I don't believe it works in this instance.  For in John 3:17 we see some direct contradiction of contemporary Christian teachings.  Jesus did not come into this world to condemn me.  On the contrary, He came that through Him I MIGHT BE SAVED.  Not only for me personally, but for all who come to Him.  Jesus did not arrive on the scene to cast the cloud of condemnation around me.  No matter what I've done in the past, that is no longer a concern to Him.  What's done is done.  As He claimed on the cross...IT IS FINISHED!  What remains now is our life in Him {Galatians 2:20}.  I have no respect for a pastor who makes the claim that I must continue to seek my Lords forgiveness for sins I've committed.  I know that in Christ Jesus there is no condemnation {Romans 8:1}.  I also know that the sin issue was put to death by Christ Jesus at the cross {Romans 6:6-11}.  Yes, there will be those who will continue to cherry pick scripture and say that this does not apply, but I know the truth of Christ Jesus in me.  I don't believe that God would provide for my salvation only to continue having me seek it from Him.  However, there are many in traditional Christianity who adhere to this idea of conditional salvation.  Yes, you're indeed saved, unless you sin then you'll need to seek it once again.  Yes, God is rich in mercy...unless you sin.  Contrary to traditional teaching, salvation is something we can never lose.   If this were the case, how many times would Jesus need be crucified?  Twice?  Ten times?  We're told that Christ died once for all {Romans 6:10}.  It is because of Jesus that we are saved, and because of Him that no one will ever take us from His hands {John 10:28}.

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.
Hebrews 6: 4 - 6 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: