Saturday, February 15, 2020

Leaders Among Men



A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: "we did it ourselves!"
Lao Tzu

What would you think of a church that had no pastor?  A job that had no boss?  A nation with no recognized leader?  Chances are you would flourish temporarily, but as time went on, that leadership would be required once again.  Sure, someone might step up to the plate to take control, but who?  You?  There is a saying about how things work in our nations capital.  That is, if you really want to kill off an idea, send it to a committee.  For it is in government committees where good ideas surely go to die.  Returning to the subject of our churches, could we survive in a life in the Lord without a central church leadership?  Absolutely!  This week Wayne Jacobsen brought up the point that all too often calls upon us to follow Him.  However, more often than not we respond with teachings and policies which our so called church leaders say will bring us in step with God.  Well, how's that working out for you?  I've personally been involved with more than a few churches which were reduced to weekly lectures simply because of a few well meaning people who desired to "lead" those around them into what the Lord had planned.  While it may look good on the surface, eventually all it becomes is someone else telling us what they think God is doing.  Do you really need a pastor or a Sunday school teaching to see where God is leading you?  I don't.  The fact is, we waste so much time looking for God when we're missing what's right in our midst.  The apostle Paul tells us in Galatians that it is Christ Jesus who lives through us {Galatians 2:20}.  Yes, Jesus is IN US.  All that time we've spent looking for someone to lead us to the Lord and we miss He who is in us.  I don't fault the Christian in this.  No, I find fault in the traditional institutional church message which tells us that Jesus is in heaven and that it is our own sin that keeps Him apart from us.  I disagree.  So much so that I suggest that sin is no longer an issue we Christians need to tackle.  We're removed from sin.  Through Christ Jesus, we're now dead to sin {Romans 6:6-11}.  Remember this the next time some self appointed leader tries to tell you what God has in mind for you.

Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.  So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44 - 47 NKJV

Perhaps someone out there has had this same experience.  Every now and then I would walk into church on a Sunday morning and a friend would rush up to me and say "God has something He wants me to tell you!"  Now, I don't doubt that the Father sometimes communicates to others what He intends for us to hear, but if God wanted me to know something wouldn't He simply tell me Himself?  Well, He was.  The fact of the matter was I wasn't listening for His voice.  To me, God was in heaven and I was here on the fallen earth waiting for His revelation.  Somehow, some way, God would get His message to me.  Well, that's akin to calling a friend and just talking, never listening to what they have to say.  Then, wondering why your friend wasn't talking to you.  Wayne Jacobsen raises the point that church leaders all too often smother the Fathers leading with their teachings and curricula.  For the past few years I have been blessed to be involved with a dear friends men's ministry.  Our goal is not to venture out and pound scriptures into everyone we meet.  No, what we've done is akin to the church of the followers of Christ we find in Acts 2.  We meet, we discuss what Jesus means to us and we share this with others.  It's as simple as that.  I don't need a well versed church leader to tell me that he knows what God wants to tell me.  I already know!  Through the Father who is in me  speaking to my heart, He can lead me where it is He desires.  One subject we often bring up in our meetings is the "freedom" of living as Christ.  Imagine being safe in the knowledge that you and Jesus are one, and that He is always with you.  Would you call that freedom?  Imagine a life in Christ free from the ceremonies and teachings of the mainstream church.  A life where the Father Himself guides you.  A life where your own view of God is not determined by someone behind a pulpit.  That...is the freedom of walking in Christ.  One point that I'll make about our ministry is that the Father leads, we don't.  You might say that it resembles many modern day churches...minus the sermons, ceremonies, tithes and praise and worship rock bands.  I'm ok with that.

~Scott~

No comments: