Monday, August 16, 2021

Lemonade

 




And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character, and character, hope.  Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.

Romans 5: 3 - 5 NKJV 


There is a old saying that when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade.  I always thought that that was sound advice from someone who had seldom tasted the sting of life's disappointments.  In fact, if I were to live by this advice lately, I'd be bottling lemonade by the gallons.  What else are we to do when life circumstances get in our way of being happy Christians?  If I was still in the church circle I'm sure that by now I would have been scolded that God was somehow punishing me for some sin I may have done.  Perhaps it was a bad thought from my past that riled up the Lord?  That would be believable, if sin were still an issue for me.  The apostle Paul tells us in Romans that we should now consider ourselves "dead to sin" {Romans 6:11}.  Sound advice from a man who could have sold a few jugs of lemonade himself back in the day.  So, how are we to approach those situations in our lives where it seems like there is nowhere to turn?  Again, Paul helps us out in this.  According to Paul, our struggles eventually produce perseverance, character and hope.  Not bad for feeling like we have our backs against the wall.  When we attack the lemons of life head on, not only to we make lemonade, but we sharpen our own character as a result.  Not only that, but by tackling our issues, we gain a sense of hope that maybe things aren't as bad as they first seemed.  When we finally emerge victorious on the other side of our struggle, we may do so knowing that we were not alone in our journey.  For it was Jesus Himself who walked that road with us.  Jesus?  Yes, the very same Jesus whom Paul tells us lives in us today {Galatians 2:20}.  As we all know, Jesus was well aware of the lemonade side of life.  


Considering this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christs sake.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 12: 9 - 10 NKJV 


I consider Paul's words in 2 Corinthians 12 to be as much of a mystery to new believers as the mystery of the gentiles which is Christ in us.  Whatever does he mean that when he is weak, then he is strong?  What does he mean by saying that he boasts about the lemons in his life?  To help answer this question I defer to my own recent experiences.  During a few recent stressful events in my life, I was reminded by a good friend who continues to remain nameless (who am I kidding?  People know who he is by now!) that I was not walking through these tribulations alone.  Heavens no, for Jesus Himself was with me the entire time.  It is in times like these where we may feel that we cannot go on, but it is here also that the strength and perseverance of Christ Jesus works through us.  Why did Paul rejoice in his tribulations?  Because he knew the truth, that it never was him that made those lemons into lemonade.  It was only by the grace and power of Christ in him that Paul was able to chop up all of those lemons.  As for us, you and me, we indeed can have that very same realization when the situations arise.  The realization that we are but vessels for Christ Jesus who is in us.  What better opportunity for Jesus to reveal Himself to those around us than by working through us.  In the end, the label on that jug of lemonade will not proclaim it was bottled by us...but by Christ in us!  


And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose.

Romans 8: 28 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: