Sunday, August 1, 2021

Something To Remember

 




"Oh, that my words were written!  Oh, that they were inscribed in a book!  That they were engraved on a rock.  With an iron pen and lead, forever!  For I know that my Redeemer lives, and He shall stand at last on the earth.

Job 19: 23 - 25 NKJV 


I recently came across a few old notebooks I has once used as a journal.  Normally, this wouldn't be that big of a deal, as I do tend to write my thoughts down from time to time.  Yet what made these notes different was that they were written during a few challenging periods in my life.  As I read on, I read once again of the days of pain, anxiousness and excitement in my life.  Sure, I recall these days pretty well, but as usual, time seems to fade our memories.  One entry caught my eye from a day I waited to hear back about a job application I had submitted.  I remember asking my friends at church to pray for me that I would get this job, as it would be a good opportunity for me.  I remember struggling in my spirit as I prayed that God would indeed open that door for me.  Was I praying enough?  Was I behaving right in the Lords eyes?  In my Christian way of thinking, everything had to line up in order for God to work a miracle in my life.  It pained me as I read my own words of the trauma that I put myself through while waiting for God to work.  Was God upset with me?  Had I done something wrong to anger Him?  With each passing day I did not hear about the job I wanted, I began to wonder more and more if God was hearing my prayers.  I noticed that my prayers had turned from prayers of requests to questions of why He was making me wait so long.  Yes, I know, patience has never been my strong suit.  Reading on, I read of how my anxiety affected me physically.  I read of how I came down with a few colds during this time, which I wondered was Gods way of trying to tell me something?  Finally, I came to the last page.  This page had just the date and one simple word written upon it...AMEN!  Yes, I got the job, despite all of the worry and anxiety I endured in the process.  It turns out that God wasn't upset with me at all.  It was all part of my journey with Him.  


"With Christ I have been crucified, yet I am living; no longer I, but living in me is Christ.  Now that which I am now living in the flesh, I am living in faith that is of the Son of God, Who loves me, and gives Himself up for me." 

Galatians 2: 20 

Concordant New Testament 


Many believers, myself included, have been encouraged at one point or another to do daily journaling of their daily walk.  I can't say that I am a devout journal writer, but I do find time to write when the situation warrants.  Some people have asked me, what is the importance of writing a journal?  I tell them that it is a record of our walk with the Lord.  There have been many times and many situations in my life where I wish I had written a account.  Why?  Because after I came through those situations I grew in my understanding and knowing of the Father.  When I look back now on writings I have done in the past, I see no mention of Christ in me.  That revelation came later in life.  However, what I do see is someone adhering to the church rules of exactly how we should approach God.  Back then, I came before God with my head held low in shame.  For I knew that I was guilty, I was told as much every Sunday.  My prayers were often along the lines of God, if You can forgive me, grant my request.  If He can forgive me?  It is though the finished work of Jesus that I AM forgiven!  It is also through the finished work of Jesus that I need not worry over sin any longer {Romans 6:6-11}.  What has changed in my journal writing?  For one, I remind myself that it is Christ Jesus whom I walk with each day {Galatians 2:20}.  I also remind myself that my prayers are not requests I make to the Father, but a conversation I have with Jesus who lives in me.  


Knowing this, that our old humanity was crucified together with Him, that the body of sin might be nullified, for us by no means to be still slaving for sin.  For one who dies has been justified from sin.  Now if we died together with Christ, we believe that we shall be living together with Him also, having perceived that Christ, being roused from among the dead, is no longer dying.  Death is lording it over Him no longer.  For in that He died, He died to sin once for all time, yet in that He is living, He is living to God.  Thus you also, be reckoning yourselves to be dead, indeed, to sin, yet living to God in Christ Jesus, our Lord.

Romans 6: 6 - 11 

Concordant New Testament


~Scott~ 

No comments: