Saturday, August 7, 2021

Wining Gods Love

 




But God demonstrates His own love towards us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.

Romans 5: 8 NKJV 


As is my habit, I was listening to a early morning sermon on my way to work this week when I was nonce again reminded of my former days in the church.  The pastor reminded his listeners that in order to save those around us, we need to remind them that they are dreadful, failed reprobates on their way to a eternity in hell who need saving.  Does this form of evangelism sound familiar to anyone?  Tell your neighbor how evil of a sinner that he is before you introduce him to God?  Does anyone believe that this is effective evangelism?  If you do let me ask you this one question...when was it that God started loving you?  Did He began loving you when you first read the bible?  Did He start loving you when you were baptized?  When did God start loving you?  Well, we're told that God has always loved us.  In fact, He loved us enough to save us from who we once were {Romans 5:8}.  We are also told in scripture that Gods very nature is that of love {1 John 4:8}.  So, when did God first start loving you?  I believe that God has loved me even before I was born.  It was from His love for me that He created me in His own image {Genesis 1:27}.  Yes, even before my flesh carried me in ways that were contrary to Him, God loved me enough to breathe into me the breath of life {Genesis 2:7}.  God knew that I would run afoul of what was the right thing to do.  However, despite that, He knew me for who I truly am.  His child.  Dare I say that if I did have to compete for the Lords love and favor that I might not have fared so well.  It is because of this that I needed a Savior.  Christ Jesus was the one who took my sin upon Himself at the cross {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  Make no mistake, it is because of Gods love for me that Jesus died for me.  Gods love for me once again on display.  


For in grace, through faith, are you saved, and this is not out of you; it is Gods approach present, not of works, lest anyone should be boasting.

Ephesians 2: 8 - 9 

Concordant New Testament


What would it have been like had God, knowing that we would run afoul of His statutes, simply erased man He had created and started over once again from the beginning?  Believe it or not, I have heard pastors entertain this notion.  To this I answer, would the Lords love and grace be shown were He to destroy that which He created?  Let's be honest here, it is BECAUSE God know of our makeup as people that He left creation as it is.  God knew all along that I was going to need the redemption which only Jesus could bring.  This is His love poured out upon me through Christ Jesus.  What need would we have of a Savior were God to simply toss us out and start over again?  But wait, didn't God do just that in the days of Noah and the great flood?  Not exactly.  Yes, the Lord did erase a good part of His creation, but Noah and his family as well as the animals of the earth and birds of the air were spared.  So the question still remains...when did God start loving you?  Has He ever stopped loving us?  I believe that the mainstream church has gotten it wrong when it comes to evangelism.  We feel that we need to remind others of how bad they are before we introduce them to the love of God.  How tragic this is for the new Christian.  Why not remind the new believer of the love and grace of God instead of dwelling on the sin issue?  It is sin that is the toxic concoction in Christianity today, talked about as if we still face the battle of trying to win Gods love and mercy.  Bad idea.  The apostle Paul reminds us in Romans that we who follow Jesus are "dead indeed" to sin {Romans 6:11}.  God loves you.  


Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.  For he who has died has been freed from sin.  Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more.  Death no longer has dominion over Him.  For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.  Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: