Thursday, August 12, 2021

The Booklist Of Common Sense

 




And we know that the Son of God has come and given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ. This is the true God and eternal life. 

1 John 5: 20 NKJV 


I was looking on Amazon the other day for a particular book on history and decided to check out the Christian book section as well.  Well, I have never seen so many books on common sense in my life.  It seems that the Christian book scene is chock full of books from teaching us not only how to pray but how God can bless us into being a millionaire (Yes, there's a book on that!).  This is both intriguing and disappointing in my mind.  I mean, does a believer really need a book on how to learn to pray?  For what are our prayers but conversations with the Christ Jesus who is in us {Galatians 2:20}.  I find it sad that there would be people out there who would purchase a book simply for the opportunity that the Lord would bless them with being a millionaire.  Now, I've owned a few common sense Christian books in my time as well.  However, the one Christian book that I have never grown out of is my bible.  If you are looking for a book on how to pray, speak and act in a Christian way, then the bible is for you.  For in its pages we will find the very words we need to learn and know our living Lord Jesus.  Yes, I said living.  Yes, Jesus was persecuted and crucified, but He has overcome that and His Spirit now resides in us.  The apostle Paul introduces us to this truth in Galatians 2.  As we read the bible, we are introduced to the coming Lord Jesus through the old testament, then we see His life and words in the new.  I have to say, we could do away with every single Christian fad book on common sense if we would simply follow the words of Jesus.  Want to learn how to pray, Jesus lays it out for us in Matthew {Matthew 6:5-15}.  Want to learn how to treat others?  Read the words of Jesus we find in Matthew 5 {Matthew 5:45-48}.  However, far from being a instruction manual on Christian living, the bible is actually our introduction to getting to know the truth of Christ Jesus.  The knowledge of knowing that it is He who lives in us.


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


Contrary to contemporary Christian reading, you won't find it written in the bible that God will bless you with being a millionaire.  So, if that is your goal with being a believer, you will be disappointed.  However, what the bible and the words of Jesus will offer you I believe is something worth far more than anything money can purchase.  Can all the money in the world buy you the assurance that you will never need to fear dying?  I have never had a million dollars, but what I do have is my knowing in Christ Jesus that He has overcome death so that I will never need to {Romans 6:8-9}.  I don't boast a wealthy stock portfolio, but what I do have is the knowing that through Christ Jesus I am no longer a slave to sin {Romans 6:6}.  Yes, you could be a millionaire and still have a deeper knowing of Christ, that is undisputed.  However, I refuse to allow some contemporary flash in the pan author convince me that I can pray my way to financial success.  Now, that in no way means that if God SO CHOOSES to bless me, He can and will.  The reality is that it's not up to me...or you.  The reality is that God gives us breath and life each and every day of this life, all the while preparing us for our life with Him once our time here is at a  end.  That, my friends, is worth far more than money. 


"And this is eternal life, that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent."

John 17: 3 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: