Monday, April 22, 2024

In That Day




 In that day you shall know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. 

Johns Account 14: 20, Concordant New Testament 


I discussed with a few of my married brothers a few years ago the phenomenon of how each spouse would know what the other was thinking at any given time.  This was not so much of a surprise for me, as from the scriptures I knew that the marriage covenant was a vow between two people.  However, once married, these two individuals become one flesh {Genesis 2:21-24}.  The fact that the name woman is derived from her very creation testifies to this truth.  "She shall be called woman, because she was taken out of man" {Genesis 2:23}.  Most believers are all too familiar with the creation history, how God caused a deep sleep to befall Adam and created Eve from the bone which He took from him.  It is no wonder, then, that two individuals brought together would be considered as one flesh.  So, what would the marriage covenant have to do, if anything, with our life in Christ Jesus?  Well, I use this as an example to illustrate what the apostle John spoke of.  That being our union with Jesus.  Jesus speaks to being in the Father, of our being in Him and Christ in us {Johns Account 14:20}.  This has been a topic which our group has discussed to some extent as of late.  What is it like to live IN Jesus?  Well, if you can picture living each and every day living and walking as Jesus then you may just have a good understanding of this truth.  The reason I used the marriage covenant as an example is because it closely identifies with this truth.  For I have never been a separate entity.  It has never been Jesus and then me, it was always about the union I share with Him.  When I see myself in the mirror, I see Jesus as well.  When I run into difficult situations in my life, I am assured that I share them with Christ Jesus Himself.  Indeed, whatever I think or do, I do as Christ.  This is my union with Him.  This is what Jesus referred to which is related to us through the apostle {Johns Account 14:20}.  As the apostle Paul proclaimed, I no longer exist, what remains is Christ {Paul To The Galatians 2:20}.  


That they may all be one, according as Thou, Father, art in Me, and I in Thee, that they also may be in us, that the world should be believing that Thou dost commission Me. 

{Johns Account 17: 21, Concordant New Testament  


For its part, the mainstream church has never quite grasped the truth of our union with the Father.  They speak in phrases such as "Being like" Jesus and "Walking with" Him.  There is, in fact, a huge difference in the way in which the traditional church sees our union with Jesus and the actual truth.  The church speaks to the lie of our still being separate from the Father.  That the best which we can hope for is to be close to Jesus.  Well, the very definition of the word union speaks to "Joining or being joined."  When we join a club, we are a part of that organization.  When we join a union, we become a part of it.  When we are united with Christ, we are a part of Him.  Nowhere in the definition of the word union is it intended that one would "Be close" to something.  In fact, if we are "Close" to Jesus, then we are not in union with Him.  This is the truth of our union in Christ, that we are now in Him.  It is also through the love and mercy of Christ that He chose me to be in union with Him {Johns Account 15:16}.  Yes, I may have chosen to believe in Jesus, but it is Jesus who chose me to be in Him.  Not to "Be like" Him, but to be in Him.  What confidence it gives us knowing that we live each and every day in Christ Jesus!  The world could not defeat Jesus, and it certainly cannot defeat we who remain in Him.  


"Not you chose Me, but I chose you, and I appoint you, that you may be going away and bringing forth much fruit, and your fruit may be remaining, that anything whichsoever you may be requesting the Father in My name, He will be giving it to you."

Johns Account 15: 16, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: