Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Something More

 




"Search the scriptures, for in them you are supposing to have life eonian, and those are they which are testifying concerning Me, and not willing are you to come to Me that you may have life. 

Johns Account 5: 39-40, Concordant New Testament  


I have a good friend who once shared with me that the reason that he began attending our former church was that he wanted to know Jesus.  Well, I have to admit that he chose a good starting spot, for this man today is one of my brothers in the theology of Christ Jesus in us.  There are as many people looking for a good church in this country as there are people leaving the mainstream church.  Why is that?  My first thought would be that many people are like my friend, that they truly want to hear of the Lord.  That they desire to know Christ Jesus.  Unfortunately, there are few places in this world where one can come to know of the Lord.  Indeed, we have the scriptures to guide us, but who is it that will lead them to the bible?  I have spent a good deal of time lambasting the mainstream church in my writings.  These criticisms are not without warrant, for I have seen the damage that the church has done to others around me.  In fact, I do not even consider the traditional brick and mortar church to be "The church."  What I do consider to be the true church is the church of the ecclesia, with Jesus at it's head {Matthews Account 16:18}.  In this passage, Jesus speaks of "Building My ecclesia."  Jesus wasn't speaking of building some ornate temple, but of building up His church of believers.  What good is a fancy church if the congregation is left wanting for the Lord?  That is the question I believe each and every pastor needs to address.  We have seen in recent years a surge of believers leaving the mainstream church.  Why is that?  I believe that these well meaning believers are looking for something more.  I believe that they are seeking the Lord they have not been told of in the halls of the traditional church.  The Lord of grace and forgiveness.  Above all, the Lord Jesus who welcomes a relationship with His church.  


How, then, should they be invoking One in Whom they do not believe?  Yet how should they be believing One of Whom they do not hear?  Yet how should they be hearing apart from one heralding?  Yet how should they be heralding if ever they should not be commissioned?  According as it is written: how beautiful are the feet of those bringing an evangel of good?  

Paul To The Romans 10: 14-15, Concordant New Testament 


So, are you looking for something more?  Have you sat through one too many boring Sunday sermons only to come away wanting to know God more?  I get it.  Some years ago, that was me.  My friend posed an interesting question this week.  How is it that we help those who get stuck and think that there is nothing more than the mainstream church?  Certainly, they are seeking to know the Lord more, but feel that the church is the place where that will eventually happen.  Well, sorry to say, but that's a false assumption.  I spent most of my life listening to church sermons and never came away with a closer relationship with Christ than I have today.  What I learned of Jesus I didn't learn in a sermon or Sunday school class.  This truth of Christ in me was spoken to me by a few dear friends and verified with the Fathers revelation in me.  In the end, it was the Father who revealed to me the truth of His Son in me.  This is the same revelation which Paul himself received on the road to Damascus {Paul To The Galatians 1:15-16}.  As with Paul, the Father revealed His Son in me that I speak Him to others.  This is how I came to know the truth of Jesus in me.  This is how others will come to know Him as well.  This is the building of the church of Christ Jesus, the ecclesia.  For those who desire something more than the run of the mill church, the Father has something far better in mind for you.  


In that day you shall know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you. 

Johns Account 14: 20, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: