Sunday, March 5, 2017

A Visitor


2By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3and every spirit that does not confess athat Jesus bChrist has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world. 4You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 5They are of the world. Therefore they speak as of the world, and the world hears them. 6We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
1 John 4: 2 - 6 NKJV

There is a scene from the movie The Shack where the main character comes face to face with his young daughter after her death.  As he comes to grips with his own pain and grief, his hosts gently guide him through the process.  You get the sense that Mack himself is a visitor in his new surroundings.  There is no mistake that his hosts have a heavenly spirit connection.  For as soon as he arrives he is introduced to Papa, which by coincidence is his wifes name for God.  Indeed, we get the impression that Mack is now being led by God and His "Son" Jesus who is also present.  However, it is what ultimately sets Mack on this journey which is the subject of this page.  having endured the loss of his own daughter, he has become distant not only to his own family but to God as well.  So it is that in the process of his healing that Mack is intoduced once again to the daughter he has lost.  She is a s he remembered her, but instead of being lifeless she is now happy and playful.  By instinct, Mack attempts to talk with her.  However, he is told that she can neither see nor hear her father, but that she is aware that he is there.  We are left to wonder of the characteristics of heaven.  Have our loved ones who have passed on indeed aware of the presence of those they once knew?  I would not have given scene too much thought had it not been for my own similar experience in the time since my mother passed.  In many ways I was like the main character in this movie as my grief became a main part of my life.  Although I was fortunate enough to have the support of a few godly freinds to help me through this time, it was still something I needed to overcome in the fullness of time.

1Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of aGod! Therefore the world does not know bus, because it did not know Him. 2Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
1 John 3: 1 - 2 NKJV

It was during this period where I was informed one night that "She watches you, then she returns."  Now, was this of God?  Was it simply a dream?  These are questions which I have asked Dennis on more than a few occasions.  For those who would explain it away as being simply a dream, I would point out that God is not above communicating to His children in such a way.  We also need to take into account the reality of heaven as we know it, or how we perceive it.  We are told that there are pearly gates as well as streets of gold.  There is the everlasting presence of God, those who praise Him continually and no sorrow nor grief.  I believe that these descriptions were not lost on the producers of The Shack.  A dear friend of mine related to me some time ago that heaven may be seen as a seperate plane of reality than our own, with those on the other side keenly aware of the world they've left behind yet being unable to interact with it.  Of course, this would explain the scene in the movie.  Were it not for my own experience, I would not have thought twice about this topic.  However, I believe that God brought it to my attention for a reason.  For as Mack struggled with his own grief, so was I with my own loss.  In my heart I knew that my mother was with Jesus, but this was a confirmation.  As God gently reminded me through my loss, those who have passed on still very aware of those they've left behind.

~Scott~

No comments: