Friday, March 3, 2017

The Cost Of Fellowship


44Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need. 46So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44 - 47 NKJV

It's one of the most common complaints that others raise against christians.  They say that we christians are selfish and hypocrites when it comes to helping others.  Indeed, I've seen my fair share of those who claim to be christian yet treat others in a unchristianlike manner.  Of course, my usual response to such accusations is that people will be people anywhere you go.  Through our own pride and arrogance some have succeeded in alienating our neighbors.  This isn't all that unusual, for we are human and at times we treat others unfairly.  I've seen everything from churches helping only their church members to those who are pretty darn selective in whom they provide help to when they know others are in need.  Not suprisingly, I've found myself on both sides of this coin at one time or another.  To be human is to be subject to the many feelings and emotions which we were created with.  We may have compassion on someone in need whom we have never met, yet refuse to help one who we have had a negative interaction with.  Of course, this does not even come close to helping others around us in need.  It's no wonder that when I hear the word community in the modern church my imdediate thought is to that example of the early church we find in Acts 2.  These early followers of Christ Jesus, undoudtedly took the teachings of Jesus to heart in their interactions with their neighbors.  For many sold their possesions and divided them among those who were in need {Acts 2: 44-45}.  Imagine a society where we put this example of the early church into practice.  Would we even be in need of social welfare programs?  I think not.  I once asked a friend of mine how wonderous it would indeed be if we today could follow this example ourselves.  His response reminded me of the difficulties we might have in achieving this utopian society.  For in order to even contemplate such a thing, there would need to be a few major changes in our modern society.  Indeed, so far we haven't shown that we are any closer to realizing this dream than before.

27“But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28“bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you. 29“To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either. 30“Give to everyone who asks of you. And from him who takes away your goods do not ask them back. 31“And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise. 32“But if you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33“And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same.
Luke 6: 27 - 33 NKJV

How rare is it to find one who gives to those who ask or are in need without asking for anything in return?  For most of us, whenever someone asks for help, our first inclination is to reach for our ledger to record just what our neighbor shall owe us like some modern day Ebeneezer Scrooge.  I recall that scene from a Christmas Carol where Scrooge is nickle and diming poor Bob Cratchet for the simplest of items and shudder as I recall times when I did just the same to others.  I am not above admitting that I myself have been victim of treating others badly, but I also know in my heart that this is not the real Scott.  What did Jesus call on us to do when others were in need?  Well, we find reference to this in Luke 6.  As Christ tells us, "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you?  For even sinners love those who love them."  I believe that these words of Jesus have not lost their meaning for us today.  Do we give to charity?  Good, we do well to help others.  However, do we give with our ledgers out?  That is, do we give expecting something in return?  Whether it be repayment or a return favor, every so often we give with conditions.  I believe that if we were to ask Jesus Himself, that He would not call this giving out of love or compassion for others.  It's taken me some time to realize that when others ask me for help is not a opportunity for me to stash away favors which I can use later but the opportunity for me to show the compassion of Christ Jesus who is in me.

~Scott~

No comments: