Sunday, May 7, 2017

The Unteachable Christ



1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. 4In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. 5And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not acomprehend it.
John 1: 1 - 5 NKJV

There was a comment by Dennis this week which got me thinking.  Well, most all of his comments start me thinking, but this one in particular.  We were discussing the topic of my previous post where I spoke of how pastors try in vain to keep up the interest level of their sermons.  They try everything from gimmicks to the warning of displeasing God in order to keep their pews filled.  Although this is a issue in the modern church, Dennis rightly pointed out that the real issue is just why Christ Jesus is not taught in church.  I will agree with him on this point.  For I have seen many a sermon on our Lords supposed view on various social issues as well as how we should live today, but I have rarely if ever heard a sermon from a pulpit pounder on the truth of Christ Jesus.  What is the truth of Jesus?  Well, as I have written before, the truth of Christ Jesus is that we today who have accepted Him now live AS JESUS.  Indeed, we have that very Spirit of Christ within us.  When we look in that mirror each morning, we see Jesus looking back at us.  THAT is the truth of Christ Jesus today.  So, why is it that so many pastors ignore this truth and continue to draw on the same old preachings pulpit pounders have relied on for ages?  Is Jesus really that unteachable?  Absolutely not!  For as the apostle John tells us in John 1, Christ Jesus was there from the begining.  Not only that, but "All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made."  From the begining was Jesus and until the end is Christ Jesus.  He is, indeed, the same today as He was in the begining {Hebrews 13:8}.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

So, is Christ that unteachable?  I would say no.  The comment I made to Dennis on this topic is that were the church to teach on the truth of Christ, then perhaps people would be less dependent upon the church for their daily lives and more dependent on Jesus.  This is the freedom which we find in Christ, that we would rely on Him and Him alone as He will never fail us.  In the end, man will fail us but Jesus will always be by our side.  I believe that the church has alot to lose by teaching the truth of Jesus.  For one, fewer people in the pews means fewer dollars in the collection plates, which is what the modern church survives on.  Also, what need would we have for the church were we to know and live the truth of Jesus?  From time to time I've related a gathering of friends that Dennis and I attended one Sunday morning.  To a person, each one in attendance related the freedom which they had found by being seperated from the traditions and requirements of the institutional church.  I question whether the truth of Jesus could even be taught in the environment of the church, as in Jesus we find freedom and not requirements.  In fact, it is Christ Jesus who put to death those requirements which were against us {Colossions 2:14}.  In Jesus there is freedom.  In the modern church we find traditions and that which we are required to do to somehow earn our Lords favor.  Sorry, but I already have that in Christ.

~Scott~

No comments: